Sunday, August 6, 2017

The New Normal

The new normal for me is that I'm living, everyday, with an acute sense of the fragility of life, of impermanence.

That feeling, that sense, manifests as the anxious quiver of being that underlies all of our human attempts to drown it out or cover it over with addictions to anything and everything...and not just drugs, but all the things we do every day in our lives to avoid actually being in the present moment.

Over the last few years I've made it a practice to remove all those distractions from my life, as many as humanly possible in this day and age, so that I can/could be present to exactly what's happening in the here and now.

And experiencing the anxious quiver of being, or the fundamental ambiguity of being human, is my ground of being now.  I felt it now and then before BeeGee apparently-suddenly became an older cat, in moments of utter quietude.  Now that I am taking care of this beautiful elder being, I'm living every day in this place of groundlessness.

My practice now is to learn to embrace it, to become comfortable with it, to do my life just as before, but with this inate shaky feeling in my heart and gut.  And just be with it.

This sense of fragility, of vulnerability, of tenderness, of impermanence, of groundlessness...



7 comments:

Jacki Long said...

Beautifully said Connie.
I was first introduced to "new Normal"
by Dorothy Crone/Anderson and it literally
stopped me in my tracks. Now it is a daily truth. ♥

Jan said...

Ah yes...

Dortesjs said...

You are most creative, always enjoy your art and my visit on your blog. ;O)) thank you ;O))

john said...

I say do as you please. That is what I am doing. I have started to cut back on commitments. I need my time for myself more and more. Love the patterns that you have created with watercolors. :-)

KAM said...

Many thanks for sharing your process in the embracing of what there is every day in the journey of life. Your work reaches out from the screen and tells me you are finding some solid places to put feelings in the paint and collage. I am always touched deeply as I spend time with your images and words shared in your blog. Thank you, Connie, for ever so many years of seeing your work and knowing more about your life and art...truly now coming up on 20 since I purchased some of my most favorite silk hand-spun from you. A treasure in my journey with jewels and inspiration.
Kristin

Jeanne Aird said...

Love your beautiful collages. You integrate such wonderful images, colors and textures.I especially love the one of the girl reading the book in bottom one. So sorry to hear about BeeGee.Our pets are such wonderful, loving companions and bring so much joy and solace. Our little Betsy is turning into a senior citizen, losing a tooth or two and not as energetic as she used to be but still a complete delight to be in her company. She cuddles up right next to me as I'm in bed a lot these days with back pain and I know we are a great comfort to each other.

phann son said...

waue, again a lovely bunch of great art. your so creative and your texture in the watercolours i do love a lot.


ตารางคะแนน