Friday, September 23, 2016

Wake Up Call

This is what I've been working on this week, although progress has been real slow.  Yes, it's little squares again, but the 64 pieces stitched together will produce a 12 x 12 inch foundation cloth on which I'll do further work.  The few bits placed on the left panel are merely being played with at the moment.

This has been quite a week.  I finally, in the end, decided I would get a cellphone, which I did earlier this week, and here's why:  On Sunday early evening, I started having heart palpitations.  Lots of them.  Nonstop for an hour and a half.  It scared me enough that I went to the E.R. and spent 3-1/2 hours there while they pumped me with saline solution, ran two EKGs, took blood, and observed me.  I'd had my neighbor drop me off at the E.R. and pick me up later when I was ready to go home.

While I was there, however, not having a cellphone, I couldn't contact anybody.  Nobody else knew I was there.  I felt terrifically isolated.  Thank god there was and is nothing wrong with me, and I've since learned not only that heart palpitations are pretty common (especially in this traumatic day and age we live in) but how to manage them on my own.  But...what if I'd had to be admitted to the hospital, or worse?  I was completely out of communication.

The heart thing had nothing to do with the recent sinus surgery.  More, they were and are about anxiety.  Having anxiety show up as heart palpitations is new for me...but we do change as we age.  I'm grateful that I had that initial experience and that I've learned what I need to do to deal with a racing heart, because I'm newly aware of how stress and anxiety are affecting me.  It was never obvious to me previously when I was under stress.  I'd just keep piling it on, or letting it happen with no way to gauge the impact.

Anyway, about that cellphone ~ part of my prior resistance had to do with redundancy or superfluity.  I really didn't want to have an excessively large amount or number of something. At the start of this year, I had a laptop/wifi in the house, an old digital camera, and a landline.  Now I still have those, plus a Kindle, a tablet, and a cellphone.  Oh well.  Whatever.  This is modern living, something else I've been avoiding like the plague for as long as I could.

Enjoy this first weekend of fall.

7 comments:

john said...

I am so glad you are doing all right. Thank goodness!

I have a buy the minutes burner phone for just the reasons you listed....emergencies. I hate talking on the phone and still can not justify the monthly charge when I would not use it much. Well, that said, I think I might use the camera. But then I think about having a camera already. Jury still out on a smartphone.

Love your cloth work and can't wait to see the finished product. I know how long this takes as my mother was a quilter.

Els said...

Oh my, dear Connie, hope you're all right again ...
Wish you some peace and quiet this weekend !
Take care !

Looks promising, what you're preparing ... ;-)

Jacki Long said...

Relieved that you are well.
Also relieved that you have a phone.
Like John, I also HATE to talk on the phone,
but my phone is taking dynamite photos.
As always, you work is amazing!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Connie. Glad to hear you're feeling ok. Love the direction you're taking with cloth (of course)...

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

It always seems to require bits of play time to move forward...an act of 'not knowing'. I have found trust and courage in these times as the easy answer is to do something done before. Playing around will always open new options.
Glad you are home and feeling better. A true scare.

Julie Schubert said...

I'm so glad to hear that the heart palpitations were 'only' due to stress..... and nothing more serious Connie.
I have a pay per minute Tracphone and it makes me perfectly happy. Bought it when I was going to be driving home from the Phoenix airport by myself late at night. Works for me! I use the phone so infrequently that it doesn't make sense to have yet another monthly bill to pay (I have enough of those!).

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

So glad you are okay, and I understand the need to cover potential emergencies. I have a "Smart phone" with a Tracfone account... costs me $8.95 a month, because I only buy minutes when I need them. The monthly fee is a service charge. I have had the smart phone about a year now, and just now really learning all the ins and outs of using it, but if my car breaks down or I am away from home and need to call for help, I have it. But I will never be a frequent user, 'cause I hate to talk on the phone! Be well, my friend, and enjoy every moment doing what you love! <3