Thursday, August 18, 2016

New Technology

I'm posting these images of Winter Woods yet again, because I'm still experimenting with both posting and images...posting via my tablet vs. my computer (today's missive is from my computer), and images taken with the tablet and uploaded directly, vs. images taken with my Canon camera, cleaned up in PhotoShop Elements, and then uploaded.

The colors are more true to life here than yesterday's images.  That's just a function of my not yet being competent manipulating images on the tablet.  But I just tinkered with yesterday's images on my tablet and got them to match the colors of today's images.

I'm still confused about images in the Gallery on the tablet and Google Photos, images that have been uploaded, images that have been downloaded, albums and folders.  And then there's the Album Archive, which now houses all the old blog images formerly housed at Picasa, which Google did away with recently.  The more recent blog images are in Google Photos, along with stuff I posted in class communities housed at Google, and some stuff from eons ago that I'm not sure where they came from, to be honest.  I'll work it out eventually.   

I've been having a conversation with myself for a few days, because it's really difficult taking photos with my 9.7" tablet ~~ too difficult to hold that large screen steady enough in both hands and push the photo button at the same time.  Then there's the protective case, which folds back so you can see the screen to operate the camera, but then the flaps flop around and get in the way.  The conversation is: should I buy a smaller tablet just to take photos with?  There's nothing wrong with my now-old Canon PowerShot camera, but the ability to shoot a photo, manipulate it on the device, and upload to Instagram, Facebook or wherever without having to go from one device to another is a real advantage. 

About this time, y'all are probably saying, Why don't you just use your smartphone?  Well, I don't have or need a smartphone.  I've been thinking about that too these last few days.  Thing is, I hardly make any phone calls with my landline, let alone get a cellphone.

But a smaller tablet...well, I'm thinking about it.  The reality is, I don't shoot nearly as many photos as I used to when I had several blogs and posted to most of them every single day.  So I'm not yet convinced to buy another device.  Also because, I can upload photos from my Canon camera to my computer to my Google Drive, and download them to my tablet so I can upload them to Instagram from there.  Sounds horrifically complicated, but it's not, really. 

I think I just need to go out and start shooting photos again with my camera first.  If I'm not up for doing even that, then I clearly don't need another device.

8 comments:

Jan said...

HUH? (That's a rhetoric "huh".)
Actually, I mostly understood your internal debate, which is kinda scary.
:-)

fran said...

...check into the new canon power shot sx710hs...
...it works wirelessly with smartphones and tablets, computers, web services,
printers and other wirelesss cameras...

....fran...

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I'm sticking to my Powershot until it dies. It has become a routine to shoot, remove the memory chip and upload to the laptop. I have an external hard drive where I store my pix... very easy to upload to my shop, blog, FB, etc. I have a smart phone, but don't like trying to take pix with it, and only use it to make calls or take credit card payments for my biz... otherwise, it's off, 'cause I still use a landline... old habits die hard, especially when they don't need to change. But if they do need to change, I would probably go with fran's suggestion... didn't even know they have a wireless camera!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Beautiful photo of a lovely piece. What is the finished size? So I'm guessing the dark trim is the back color? How is it displayed...framed?
I think we need to find what works best for us smartphone, camera, large or small tablet or computer...I'm pretty happy with my set up here but I am queen of adjusting to what is...rarely make changes to tech unless it falls apart!

Sandra Rude said...

Modern technology, ain't it wunnerful! (Sometimes - and sometimes not.)

john said...

I love how you are trying different ways to photograph and that you share your methods. It is just the best to read whatever you have to say. :-)

Leslie said...

As I get older, I consider my smart phone a safety device, along with everything else I do on it. It's always on me, so that if I fall or something else happens, I can call someone.
Plus it takes awesome photos.

Leslie said...

As I get older, I consider my smart phone a safety device, along with everything else I do on it. It's always on me, so that if I fall or something else happens, I can call someone.
Plus it takes awesome photos.