Sunday, August 21, 2016

Full Circle

An interesting thing happened recently ~~ I was contacted via email a couple weeks ago by one of my best friends from high school.  After our 25th reunion in 1992, I decided to disappear, so I ended up on the "missing" list of classmates.  Our 50th is next year and my friend sleuthed me out online, albeit with trepidation because she sensed I still might not want to be found.

What happened next could only have happened at this particular point in my life, now that I'm newly open to it ~~ I responded right away and we rekindled our friendship.  We're in regular touch via Facebook and email, and we talked on the phone for two hours the other day.

In the same vein, I've rekindled my friendship with another best friend from high school.  And have gotten myself back on the list of a group of gals who touch base by email a few times a year.  And Facebook friended a couple old friends. 

Although at first I was dead certain I'd never go to another reunion (and the 25th is the only one I attended)...I changed my mind this week, and I will definitely go to our 50th, next May in Los Angeles.

Thanks to a comment from dear online pal Leslie,  I decided that I will go the smartphone route for image taking and uploading.  She brought up the issue of the safety factor in having a smartphone.  And that pushed a button that's been on in the back of my mind for a couple years ~~ what if I trip and fall at home and can't get to my landline-phone?  It's conceivable that I could die here and nobody would know, because I'm such a recluse and I don't talk regularly to anybody on the phone, and sometimes don't even see my neighbors for a few days.  Or what if I have car trouble in some out of the way spot?  Which is unlikely given how little I drive, but still possible. 

So okay, I got it.  It's time for me to have a smartphone.  Plus now that I'm in contact with out-of-the-area friends, I can call them instead of them having to call me.

Fortunately, the cost of these things, which you all probably already know, has really come down in the last few years.  So this will be manageable for me.  The last time I had a cellphone was before smartphones, and that little phone cost $75 a month for voice only with no texting.  It'll cost me less than half that now and I'll have everything I need.  Including a great camera.

8 comments:

Jacki Long said...

So happy for you Connie, on so many levels!
You deserve the smart phone and so much more! ♥♥♥

Marybeth said...

OK can I come over so we can learn how to use the smart phone(s)? I have had mine for a year and still don't 1/2 of what it does. Love what you are doing in that picture. My 3 exchanges are done and will take pictures today to share...love using your fabric scraps!!

Carol Cohn said...

Just read your post, and am so glad not only that we have reconnected, but that you WILL be coming down for the reunion! Let the good times roll! :)

john said...

I had the same conversation with myself, do I get a smartphone or another burner phone. I hate chatting on the phone....in person is so much better. The conversation started because I lost my first burner phone and had to make the decision...another burner or a smart. I love the idea of taking photos on the smartphone. It is so easy and one can do videos as well. Then I thought about the monthly fee. We already pay Comcast a fortune each month. So I went with another burner phone and use Tracphone minutes. I may break down and get the smartphone though...photo ops come up so often.

Pamela Gerard said...

That's nice you are open to catching up with old HS pals and you will go to your reunion.....and a smartphone? I absolutely love my iPhone.......

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

This piece is lovely...I like the weaving in and out and the colors are wonderful!
Hurray for new old friends and a smartphone too!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wonderful news for you on reconnecting with old friends! As for Smartphones... I got one so I could take credit card payments at craft shows, but still have the Tracfone service instead of one of the more expensive services. I pay a small monthly fee and buy minutes as needed, but also got a data card for texting and internet. However, it is only on when I need it since we have a landline for regular calling. And I still don't use many of the features... no time to play with it! Have fun learning all the features, I'm sure you will have them all up and running in no time!

jenclair said...

Good luck with your smart phone! I use mine mostly for calls and texting--my eyes don't like the small format, but my daughters use theirs for everything!

I received a message on FB about my 50th reunion which is also next year. I have never been to a single one! Maybe it is time. :)