Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Nightfall

This is Nightfall, about 19 inches square.  I quilted this piece with metallic sewing thread as I did the previous one, this time gold.  When you see the quilt in the flesh, tiny flecks of gold catch your eye.  I decided not to do any embellishment on this after considering a couple of possibilities.  Once you start, where do you stop?  Hence, nothing added. 

I'm so enjoying working with little squares, that now I'm creating an indeterminate piece, using white and ivory squares.  I'm making small nine-patches that I'll eventually stitch together.  Working with 1-1/2 inch squares (my preferred size and the size in Nightfall), as well as smaller and larger squares.  You can work all sizes together into one piece, which is what I intend to do.

I recently bought a number of quarters (fat and long) of a bunch of different fabrics, to flesh out my stash.  I like using handmade and commercial fabrics together.  A lot of the white/ivory cloth I'm using now is vintage table linens that I've had since my eco dyeing days, as well as undyed silk jacquard fabrics, plus other undyed cottons and linens.

Have a great week.  Blessings. 

9 comments:

jenclair said...

I love the way you have shaded from dark to light. The gold metallic thread must be a lovely touch! I love the way metallic threads look, but I've always had so much trouble with breakage and re-threading the needle. Tips? :)

Roberta Warshaw said...

I love this! I am a fan of squares as well.

Sweetpea said...

Another square fan here.

This is really beautiful, Connie, and I absolutely love how you're combining the handmade with the commercial cloths ... you've got a keen eye for how to do that which doesn't come easily for some of us. The only thing I'm left yearning for is a close-up image of some of those little gold bits .... ;>)) Gorgeous work.

Jacki Long said...

Stunning work Connie!
You have such a great eye, and my eyes love the results!
Add me to the square fan cub, please? ♥♥♥

Sandra Rude said...

How serene! I like it.

KAM said...

the squares are grand...love this new journey you are taking with your art. Metallic thread does add a fine touch of glimmer to a work. This piece is lovely...the gradual shading very successful.
Kristin

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

All of the above and some more! What I once was seeing the edges of dawn...I now feel edges of dusk...both magical times. I'm voting for a close-up too! Your combining and stitching is remarkable.

john said...

I love the gradation of color Super!

Jan said...

This is gorgeous. I love squares too. Yum.