Friday, July 15, 2016

French Vanilla

I spent the last few days working away on this piece.  And then decided last night that as much as I do like it, what I'm after right now is something that's more white than this is with its off-white fabrics. So this morning I stitched the nine blocks together and stuck this on my design wall for use later on in something else.  Or I might take it apart and use the 9-patch blocks in other pieces.

The color white...there are as many whites as there are versions of every other hue.  What I don't want right now are colors like ivory, buff, vanilla, French vanilla, old lace, eggshell, cream, etc.  I'm looking for something that I would consider real white, something perhaps like coconut white.

I went through all my "white" fabrics again last night, many of which I just purchased recently, and separated them into stacks by how white they are.  It's amazing how all those vintage linens I have are so many different shades of white.  No two are exactly the same.  Fortunately there are some really white ones in my stash, and so I'll start my project over again.  Meanwhile, I enjoyed working on this so it wasn't a loss by any means.

9 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh I just love that little surprise of the small nine-patch in there. Lovely arrangement of neutrals. But I get what you mean when you say it is not the white neutral that you had in mind. Oh my yes, just get out your true whites and you will see how very different they are. It's the same thing with black.

Jacki Long said...

Love enjoying your many talents & that great eye! ♥

Sandra Rude said...

When we had our kitchen in the San Jose house reno'd, the cupboard people kept telling me "white is white" and became really pissed off when I said "no, these white cupboard doors don't match the white cabinets." It took 3 months of not paying their bill to convince them I meant what I said. Finally, they sent a 'color expert' who happened to agree with me, and we finally settled on a white for the cabiet doors that (closely but not perfectly) matched the white cabinets. There must be more shades of "white" than any other hue!

Roberta Warshaw said...

I love all the off whites though. It is very rich looking.

Leslie said...

This is quite nice. Very monotone, just one shape, but so much to look at.

Leslie said...

This is quite nice. Very monotone, just one shape, but so much to look at.

jenclair said...

Like Idaho, my eye was drawn to the smaller nine patch!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

White is tough...this mix is lovely and the small nine patch is sublime!

john said...

I just love your fabric work. :-)