Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Work in Process

This is a stitched piece I've been working on.  I actually started it before Gravity's Rainbow.  This one will be called Tree of Life, and my next step will be to fashion something tree-like in the center. 

Originally I thought I might embroider the tree, especially after seeing the awesome embroidery Jude has been doing lately.  Towards that end I spent most of last weekend trying out my embroidery chops -- satin stitch specifically -- on a nine-patch sampler I made for that purpose.

Jude uses a stitch she calls Stacked Running Stitch, and I did try some of that in the piece below.  Satin stitch works better for me, though.  Although it does use more thread, satin stitch goes much more quickly, and you don't have to keep moving your stitching hand back and forth between the front and the back of the fabric.  Anything to do less unnecessary hand movement in my book.

Instead of embroidery, I decided to applique a tree.  But alas, this project will have to wait because I had an inspiration for another piece on Monday night that I am hot to get moving on.

The last photo is of my favorite piece of my own art, from the 1970s.  A framed color wheel of satin stitch flowers, inspired by my 7th Grade art teacher who taught us about color wheels.

Hint:  the new handstitched piece is another rainbow of sorts.

Hope you're having a great week.

11 comments:

Pamela Gerard said...

OooOOooo nice. I embroider too..... haven't in a while though...got your postcard yesterday.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I'm in awe of your abilities...the rainbow piece is sublime. I have been loving Jude's circular running stitch and now loving this one and the branch looking shape. The colors of the first have a forest low hanging fog feeling for me...quite wonderful!

Jan said...

My hat's off to anyone who does a good satin stitch--brava! I love all these pieces and an eager to see more as you stitch, stitch, stitch! From what you're saying, I think it's time for me to check in on Jude's work again. xox

Sandra Rude said...

I really like that middle one, but as you say, save the hands at all costs!

Jacki Long said...

Beautiful work, as always Connie!
You are a wizard! ♥


Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love what you are doing, and have done! I'm trying to get back into embroidery work too... not much time right now, but used to love doing it. And I have also been admiring the work Jude has been doing... so much inspiration among us! Look forward to seeing what else you are working on.

Alice said...

Enjoying following your return to textiles.

john said...

OMG! These are just plain fantastic! What amazing pieces you will have and already have. You must be very patient. I do not think I would have the ability or patience to do this type of work. I can appreciate it though. :-)

jenclair said...

:) Your enthusiasm is contagious! Beautiful work, Connie!

Jeanne Aird said...

All three of the are wonderful. I love hand stitching and embroidery. I find it very meditative. I enjoyed checking out Sprit Cloth and Jude's stitching. Thanks for the link.

Peggy Lynn said...

Wonderful work!