Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Black and White Ball

These are most of what I did for last week's lesson, 9 x 12 inches on 80# drawing paper (as have been and will be all the rest of the finished work for this class).  Any areas that read blue to you in the images are actually shades of gray.  There were a couple pieces I didn't like, and I already made those into postcards and ATCs.  I'm really enjoying this class!

I read a really wonderful book the other day, The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elizabeth Tova Bailey.  Among other things, I now have a very healthy respect for garden snails...and I'm seriously considering no longer moving the ones that show up in my yard over to the bluff to fend for themselves.

The book had some great quotes in it, and I'll leave you with this one by Rainer Maria Rilke, from Letters to a Young Poet:

Try to love the questions themselves as if they were
locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language.  Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them.  And the point is, to live everything.  Live the questions now.  Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.

Blessings









7 comments:

Charlton Stitcher said...

Some lovely paintings here, Connie. I especially like the 5th one down but they all have a fascinating range of marks, with the pen / fine brushwork and those thickly drawnm swirling shapes ... and of course they're black and white!

jenclair said...

I love all of the black and white! Every one. I read The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating several years ago and am still surprised at how well the author pulled me into her story!

Jacki Long said...

I loved them all Connie, and find them inspiring, as I am dragging a bit this evening. Thank you!

Anna H said...

I like them all Connie, great work! Maybe I should take this class?

Jan Ward said...

These paintings are especially yummy. I love the contrast and the mid tones. I too am learning to take the labels off weeds and snails and many things that we don't, at first, appreciate.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I'm drawn to the fifth one down too...all wonderful examples of black to white or white to black! Great lines, shapes and movement...good class!

Peggy Lynn said...

Love all the pieces, Connie, and the quote!