Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The Practice of a Lifetime

Acrylics and paper on canvas, 6 x 6 inches
These are the rest of the pieces I painted between mid-December and earlier this month.  The sizes vary between 6 x 6 and 11 x 14, so see the caption of each piece for specs.

I've posted most of these to my Flickr account recently, but most of you probably don't hang out there and/or don't follow me there.

Acrylics and paper on cradled board, 11 x 14 inches
I'm in a bit of a painting lull at the moment, regrouping for what's next.  The pieces you see here round out three small series I began late last year.  Now it's time to move on.  And the Jane Davies workshop I'm taking begins in two weeks...

I'm rereading Stephen Nachmanovitch's Free Play, a book about improvisation in art (and in life) that I can't speak highly enough about.  Just reading the book again is inspiration in itself.

I spend a lot of time pondering the koan of everyday life, continually engaging myself in questions like ~~ What is the raw material of my life?...How do I do what I do in life?...What's the wake I leave behind myself with my words and actions?...How aware am I of what's really going on around me, right here and now?...How can I be of use to others, to the world?... ~~questions without answers really, questions that have to be lived into.
Acrylics and paper on canvas, 12 x 12 inches
Acrylics and paper on cradled board, 11 x 14 inches
Acrylics and paper on canvas, 12 x 12 inches
Acrylics and paper on canvas, 10 x 10 inches



8 comments:

Meg Weaves said...

I just saw this on your Flickr last night. Old School, both of us. :-)

Dori Singh said...

Awwwww, the bird💕

Jacki Long said...

I love them all Connie, you have such a great eye!
I always look forward to your posts. Take good care.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I thought I was partial to the series using bird images but the others speak well too. Good work through these dark winter days! It will be interesting to follow what might be next!

Charlton Stitcher said...

I've been too long away from some of my favourite blogs. I've been so busy with ideas that I don't seem to have head space for anything else but it's good to be back.
A word for the year or any formal resolution or list of aspirations can be very limiting. I prefer the freedom of free-wheeling with only general thoughts about future. Resolutions seem like setting yourself up to fail ... not a good thing to do!
Good luck!

john said...

You have been very busy! I love all the textures and the depth in your work. Have fun in Jane's class. :-)

jenclair said...

Keeping your hand in with these little prizes! I especially love the textured backgrounds! I'm still not doing much creatively, but have been trying my hand at experimenting in two journals. Will check out the book!

Maggi said...

A lovely selection of your work. Thanks for the link to your Flickr account, I really enjoyed seeing your work all together in one place.