Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Feeling Mighty Grateful

Acrylics, magazine images, handmade paper on stretched canvas, 12x12"
It's Thanksgiving Eve here in the States, and I'm feeling especially grateful for all the goodness in my life...which includes all of you, dear readers.

This painting was on my studio table when it collapsed a couple weeks ago.  I finished it this week in addition to the one below.  This one is 12 x 12 inches, the lower one 6 x 6 inches.

The bird painting began, as many of my pieces do, as a substrate to catch all the leftover paint on my palette.  This strategy seems to work for me; I often like the results of these on-the-fly pieces better than the original paintings -- but not in this case.  I like these two equally.
  
Acrylics, magazine image, handmade paper on stretched canvas, 6x6"
And I'm loving the textures I'm creating lately.  A friend asked me recently what it is that informs my art, what am I trying to achieve or capture?  Her words were different, but this is how I interpreted the query.  I've thought about the question a lot and realized that what it is for me, is creating art with a wabi-sabi feel.  New work that looks old.

My friend's question was also about whether I have any particular plans for artmaking this winter.  My response is no, not entirely. I do want to keep painting in line with my recent work, which I'm enjoying creating in addition to loving the finished paintings.  In February, though, I'll be taking Jane Davies' 100 Drawings on Cheap Drawing Paper online class, which I'm looking forward to. 

In other news ~ I ran across a very beautiful, very poignant article this week about the mother wound, which most women in our culture have operating in their psyches to one degree or another...that very wound that I spent this past summer healing.  Here's the article -- highly recommended.

The winner of last week's giveaway has been notified; thanks to all who entered.

This week's giveaway is another -- the last -- set of Jinhao fountain pens, medium nib.

To enter the drawing, either leave me an email here, or include your email address in the body of your comment to this post.  I'll do a drawing on Wednesday December 2 and I'll email the winner directly.  Don't hesitate to enter; your chances of winning are excellent.

If you're in the U.S., I hope you have a lovely, peaceful, safe Thanksgiving.  And I wish the rest of you a lovely, peaceful and safe week.  Thank you all for reading.  Blessings to you.

10 comments:

Dori Singh said...

Well, you know I love the bird!
And I would love to throw my name in the hat for the pen set!
skippydori@hotmail.com
Happy Thanksgiving!

Pamela Gerard said...

Oh--Dori wants the bird -- and I LOVE that top painting so I want that. Now we don't have t fight it out. LOL.
Nice post and you should very mellow. Hope your holiday is calm and peaceful and relaxing and cozy. Now I have to go read that article you linked to....xo

Leslie said...

I like both of these, as well, but the bird better, perhaps. I like fountain pens but don't use them often enough and t hey clog up, from dried ink, I suppose. However, throw my name in there and let's see what happens. Have a good day tomorrow. We're making a Mexican fiesta with tamales, beans, rice, flan - all homemade cause I'm feeling ambitious. Tamales were made by a coworker and inspired our menu.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Ah - that bird one is the best! I see I will be scrapping it out with more than one person for it - better lock your doors, Connie! Have yourself a great little celebration on Thanksgiving. I'll be thinking of you...

Peggy Lynn said...

Love the bird and wish you a cozy Thanksgiving!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

These two pieces are beautiful examples of your love of texture and color. I'm especially drawn to the 'bird' piece. Your words on what informs your work are thoughtful and to me heartfelt. New work table and clear direction = a great new year!

Jeanne Aird said...

Great textures on both. Love the bird with the stenciled letters. Glad you're in a good, mellow place. Our Thanksgiving was quiet and peaceful, very enjoyable. Please throw my name into the drawing as well.
Take care Connie.

jenclair said...

Both pieces have such great depth and texture! I'm just back from a week of Thanksgiving (which is entirely too much!) and trying to get myself back into a routine.

When I gathered the mail, I found your wonderful mail art, and it did a lot to help with the lack of creative feeling that has been bothering me! Thanks so much, Connie! Give me a little time to re-adjust to my usual peaceful routine, and I will make an attempt at postal return!

Joanna said...

Your work is beautiful. Your blog is one of a very few that I've listed on my own blog as a "favorite." I haven't had time to visit yours in awhile, so I'm catching up today. Love the bird!

john said...

Your textures and color choices are really exciting. I love texture. :-)