Sunday, July 26, 2015

Unity

Acrylics, pencil, crayon on canvas panel, 12x16"
"Don't worry about unity from piece to piece.  What unifies all of your work is the fact that you made it."

Love that quote from Austin Kleon's Steal Like an Artist.  So apropos of me.

So this painting was done for the last lesson of 8 Great Paintings.  The task was to create a collage out of paper, then use that to inspire a painting.  Well, instead of making a new collage, I chose one of the hundreds I did a few years back.  Although Julie (Pritchard, class instructor) used totally different colors in her painting than in her original collage, I pretty much followed the original colorway on mine...because I liked it.  This piece of mine is way more literal than her painting was.  Which is just fine.  I still like mine.

At first I thought I might do a bunch of these, even went through a couple of sketchbooks and marked numerous collages that I thought would make good paintings.  And then I UNdecided to do that.  I'd rather move forward, wherever that is, than look to the past for inspiration.

I'm back to reading novels.  Just finished a terrific book, The Professor of Truth by Scot author James Robertson.  Now reading Russell Banks' The Darling, and loving it.

Hope you're having a good weekend! xx 

9 comments:

Jacki Long said...

Love that quote, I need to revisit that book. ;o)
Been thinking of you lately, must be time to send off a postcard?
Happy days Connie!

Jan said...

I love this painting. Love your collages, too.

What a wonderful quote--I've made a note of the book. xo

ileneharris said...

I like the topsy-turvy look of this...

Emma said...

I like the quote too, but I love looking back at my sketches/mini collage, sometimes the only thing to help me move forward! Enjoyed your 'peciling in' post - I find that the only thing that cuts thru paste/wax is your ordinary ball point pen - love scribbling in with that ;)

john said...

We are so much on the same wave length. Over the past few months unity has been a discussion in my art life. Not worrying about it is how I feel and what comes just comes. So many artists are worried about style and voice. I say just let it be and as you said, "What unifies your work is you."

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Really enjoying your paintings and thanks for the PC. Like Austin Kleon too. He makes it sound so simple, and it is, we just get caught up in complicated. Duh! xox

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

I like the painting! Whether you are "going forward" or working from an old collage, I like seeing your creative output.

Karen Isaacson said...

this question of unity is thought provoking. I used to be a lot more worried about having a style, a look, a voice, a vision. But I am so curious about so many things and I want to try them all and as I hop from thing to thing to thing, I don't settle long enough to develop "unity." sometimes I stop and force myself to work in series, and find it a useful exercise. and sometimes an obsession creates its own short-lived unity. Mostly I've stopped worrying so much about what it all means and what I think I "should" be doing. this is a great reminder for when the voice of doubt comes creeping back in.

(and as always, I come away from your blog with new titles for my reading list)

frazzledsugarplummum said...

This would be great in a large block colour quilt.