Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Pencil It In

Acrylics, crayons and pencil on stretched canvas,
16x10 inches
I pulled this painting out of my imagination the other day.  It's 16 x 20 inches on stretched canvas.  I'm loving including pencil marks and crayons ~ wax or pastel ~ on painted works.

I've experimented a lot recently with pencils and crayons on different surfaces, largely to test whether or not they are waterproof (i.e. whether they bleed or not) under acrylic media.

The white colored pencils I tried all work well and are waterproof on very smooth substrates except for the Stabilo All, which is essentially a watercolor pencil although it's made to use on glass and other impervious surfaces.  None of the white colored pencils work well on canvas textured surfaces.

All of the regular (graphite) pencils work well on virtually any surface, including the  "black" Stabilo All.  Charcoal pencils don't work at all -- meaning they bleed.

I've also tried several brands of pastel pencils, and all work well on smooth surfaces but not well on canvas textured surfaces.  They all break/crush with pressure.

Caran d'Ache Neocolor I crayons are highly-pigmented wax crayons, kind of like Crayola Crayons on steroids.  They work well on all surfaces (there are some Neocolor I orange lines in my painting above) and are waterproof.  The Neocolor II crayons are watercolor crayons.  They can be covered over with medium but will smear a bit.  Of course with water, they disperse their pigment quite readily.

I have a set of Niji Oil Pastels that I love.  Not only are the least expensive (set of 36 from Blick for under $7.00), but they're fairly creamy so I like them a lot for use on paintings.  Oil pastels in general can be fixed with acrylic medium; chalk pastels cannot be.  You must use spray fixative for the latter, which, like regular spray paint, I hate using.  Caran d'Ache NeoPastels are also good, although they're more expensive and I personally don't like them as much as the Niji's.  However, where the Niji color line is lacking, I've filled in my palette with the NeoPastels.  I've also tried the Sakura Cray-Pas pastels but find they are too hard, so they require way too much pressure to get anywhere near the color load of the Niji's or the NeoPastels.

I'm reading, among everything else, Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon.  Short, wonderful, quirky, inspiring. 

7 comments:

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Yummo! Nice imagination. xox

Jacki Long said...

I like this one a lot Connie!
It looks spontaneous and like you had fun in the process.
Also thanks for the info! I h ave trouble keeping what does what in my lil' brain! Good stuff!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I like the movement of the white shapes...beautiful!

Jeannie said...

Oh wow!!! This is wonderful! Thanks for the info about the pencils/crayons. I just found some wood and canvas that I had bought and then put in a spot where I could find it - ha! The bag has been "lost" for 3 years. I think some play time is in order next week. Have a happy!

Karen Isaacson said...

Hi Connie,
I've just spent a lovely hour catching up on the last few months of your blog. I completely dropped out of the blogosphere for a long time, and now I feel like some of my energy has shifted away from work. It's nice to catch up with my art friends. I really love all the work you've been doing related to Chris & Julie's classes. I'm working my way through a few of their classes right now and I love the lessons, but so far I'm not showing any of my work because it's very by-the-book. I gave up wasting energy trying to "make it my own" at this point. I'm happy to copy and learn and practice the techniques and not over think it. I can see the ways you are making your own mark on these lessons and your work is lovely.

john said...

Looking at this piece I feel like I am sailing on the high seas...perhaps in a regatta....free and breezy.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

I see so much in this piece of art.