Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Off Schedule

Acrylics on canvas panel, 11x14 inches
I kinda got off my schedule of being online Wednesday and Sunday.  The important thing, though, is that I'm online as little as possible each week, and occasionally things get out of whack.  This will likely be my only post between now and next Sunday.

Here's another recent painting, 11 x 14 inches on canvas panel.  In response to my recent post about my liking to work on hard, flat surfaces, a reader asked about how I would present paintings on canvas panels.  That is a problem, actually, because I'm not keen at this point on framing paintings.  And obviously work done on stretched canvas, even the 3/4" to 7/8" traditional canvases, can be hung right on the wall sans frame.

I have a line on some inexpensive (read: cheap) plastic drop-in frames available at Michaels, should I decide to sell any of my paintings on canvas board.  Those frames are black and add only a very narrow border around the panel, plus they can be hung vertically or horizontally.  If I could find really narrow wood frames somewhere, I'd use them instead.  Making narrow frames out of slats is too much of a hassle for me to do myself now, although I like the way they look around paintings.  Another problem with framing thin panels is there's got to be a lip of wood over the front of the painting to hold the panel in.  If anybody knows where to get really narrow (quarter inch border) wood frames cheaply online, please let me know.

Meanwhile, I decided to begin working on cradled panels, which are hard, flat, and built right onto a wood frame.  They're definitely more pricey than canvas board, but considering that the latter need to be framed, I suppose the cradled panels really aren't any more expensive in the long run.

Sometime in the last ten days I pulled apart a journal that I made a year and a half to two years ago.  I never liked it, particularly because I'd used cold press watercolor paper to make Gelli prints on, and they didn't turn out nearly as well as they would have if I'd used hot press (flat rather than pebbled) paper.  Anyhow, I ended up with a batch of little booklets to give away and a few postcards.  Another recycling job with good results.

Have a great week.  xx

9 comments:

ileneharris said...

You are the ultimate recycler/upcycler! Those are cool little booklets.

am spending this week making 20 mermaid charms and ATC cards to go along with them - all for a swap I am involved in. It will be interesting to see what I receive in return..

Sue Marrazzo said...

AWESOME painting!

Jan said...

I love your paintings--this one is fabulous. Such wonderful work!

Jacki Long said...

Love the art work, another winner!
The little books are so cool,
I was just looking at the "Gone Fishing" today ...
you gifted it to me in October 2014, another treasure!
Thanks Connie!

Maggi said...

I see a river mouth in this painting, very effective. You've done a great job with recycling the little books.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Nice work. I like to work on raw canvas best, not even primed but I do like wood cradled panels. Although if they are too small I can't work on them, I find it hard. Flat is good. Thanks for the PC. xox

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I like a small edged frame...wood or metal. I began in printmaking and most of my mixed media is on paper and then fabric...I like them all framed and under plexi. Tell me how you like the cradled panels. Nice colors and I like the loose scratched marks.

john said...

Your piece is so pleasing to view. I have looked and looked and looked. :-) My eye loves the choice of colors and I love the movement created by the "scratch" lines. Terrific!

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Love.