Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Heatwave

Acrylics on canvas panel, 9x12 inches
I created this piece a month or so ago, the last time I was focusing on neutral colors. 

We're having a heatwave on the North Coast.  It's already 79 degrees in Fortuna (up at the little airport near where I live) and it's not yet 10am.  Going for 89 today.  That's REALLY hot for here.  I've already got all the windows open and two fans set on high. 

I'm working on a painting project that's been on the back burner for a year.  Finally, on Monday, I jumped right into it.  Will post on Sunday.

My intention is to paint more.  Because why not?  What am I waiting for?  Metaphor for life, of course.

But today I'm having myself a "theater party," watching Malcolm X on DVD.  When I requested it from Netflix, I had no idea (read: didn't remember) that it runs over three hours.  I plan to sit in the cool dark and watch it today.

Just saw a hawk fly by overhead.  One of my neighbors is quite the birder and has been pointing out just how many different birds we have here.  I love birds.  But between you and me, except for the big, obvious ones (ravens, hawks, turkey vultures, egrets), the little ones all look alike to me as they whiz by.  Said neighbor has a camera with 30x zoom and she's been delighting me with images of more birds than I can name at the moment.  All beautiful. 

And speaking of birds...I've got a new zine in the works, featuring bird stamps from around the world.

Enjoy the rest of the week.  xx

11 comments:

Meg Fowler said...

OoooooooooooMG!!! I LOVE this painting!!! Fantastic!!!

I'm also a pretty dedicated birder ... And I collect bird stamps and books. Tell me about your zine.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Heatwave here in Maine too, 90 today and very humid. That painting speaks to how I feel! xox

Jacki Long said...

Nice work, as always Connie!
I like the colors,
blues and tans are magical to me.

Jan said...

This lovely painting reads Japanese to me. I love the moodiness of it. And coolness!

89--yikes! I melt when it gets that hot here on California's central coast.

Stay cool!

Jan said...

Oh! Birds! I forgot to mention them...I love birds and we feed as many as will fly in, which is many fewer than in the past. With our bird book, we've managed to identify our visitors. It's an extra happy day when a new one joins us--the last was an oriole. How nice to have a birder share pix with you!

Els said...

Keep cool girl ! ;-)

Jeannie said...

This painting is beautiful and so dramatic! We refer to the little birds as LBJs - little brown jobs. When you have to look at the thickness of the eyebrow patch or whether they have a beige or white spot under their wing to tell them apart, I give up. Keep cool! (I am hoping this heat wave doesn't last long. It was 87 at 10 here and Saturday is supposed to be 110 - ugh!)

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

I really like the painting. I like abstracts that I can stare at and see all kinds of things in. I'd love to see the texture in person...! Interesting and pleasing colors, too.

It was hotter than @#$%%!! in Trinidad the other day too. Roughly around 90. My native carnivorous Darlingtonias were wilting in misery (as were we). Today we've had sun, a brief period of sudden rain, fog, cloud, sun... plus last night an ominous sepia-tinted sunset from all the surrounding forest fires. I'm suspecting it's been similar in Fortuna.

And I'm looking forward to seeing the new zine!

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Love this one. No one does this mix like you.

motiur gewexhibition said...

thanks for your hopeful post on Arts .i thanks its very important post us
booth design

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Love this painting. I see so many different things in it. It could be internal or external.