Sunday, July 19, 2015

Days Later

Acrylics on stretched canvas, 11x14 inches
This is my painting for lesson 7 of 8 Great Paintings.  It was another opportunity to work with the "heavy on the bottom" format, which is actually rather challenging.  It's difficult to see here, but the bottom has wonky circles etched into the dark paint, with red underneath.  Click on the photo to enlarge it.

This piece is 11x14 inches on stretched canvas.  I had another start for this lesson, on 12x12 inch canvas board, but after numerous unsuccessful redo's, I threw out the panel.

Onto the next, which will be the last lesson for this online class.  Then I'm going to go it on my own for a while.  I've got all the techniques I need, I just have to paint.  But if I don't do it or do it often enough (whatever that is), no pressure ~ I'll do what I do when I do it.  The reality is, once or twice a week I have the inspiration to paint, so that's when I've been doing it.  Not pushing myself otherwise.

I started reading A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.  It's quite enlightening to read about this country, its founding and development since the get-go based nearly exclusively on pretexts, its abhorrent treatment of anyone who wasn't (isn't) white and rich...

Just reread Voluntary Simplicity by Duane Elgin.  This book was one of my early inspirations for off-the-grid (metaphorically), under-the-radar living.  Another early influence was Ordinary People As Monks and Mystics by Marsha Sinetar.  I also recently read for the second time Wallace Stegner's novel, Crossing to Safety, his last book, written six years before his death in 1993.  A really beautiful book.

I'm truly enjoying these summer days.  Making the most out of each one.  Hope you're having lovely days as well.  xx

7 comments:

Els said...

Ha .... thought I missed a part of the picture, Connie .... but when I clicked on it I saw it better :-) Like it !

Jacki Long said...

I like it a lot Connie!
And, thanks for your kind words.

Maggi said...

Love its simplicity and the layering.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

The bottom portion is beautiful...glad I clicked!
Looked on my bookshelf and found 'A Way Without Words' by Marsha Sinetar...read it years and years ago but I'm sure it was one of those foundation books as I've kept it as a favorite friend...we seem to have crossed paths with book choices!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Nice. Been away for a bit, just catching up. xox

Jeannie said...

Love this piece! I am always crazy about black/white/red. The ghostly qualities really speak to me. I just got Carl the history book. (He was a high school history/geography teacher in his early years.) He is devouring it. Hope your weekend is loverly.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

I like it. Interesting book..Zinn.