Sunday, June 14, 2015

States of Grace

Acrylics on stretched canvas, 11x14 inches
I've spent less time online recently, and more time painting and reading. 

It is so easy for me to become addicted to being online, and so easy to forget why I prefer computer-free days.

So I've put myself on a new schedule, to be online only three days a week ~ Sunday, Wednesday and Friday.  Yesterday, which was Saturday, and last Thursday, I was offline all day.  Never turned the computer on at all.

Computer-free days have become days when I feel as though I'm in a state of grace.  If I even turn the computer on for a few minutes or at most an hour in the morning, the spell is broken and I feel out of balance, distracted for the rest of the day.

Everything I want and need to do online/on the computer I can do in those three days a week.  I'd actually prefer to not have to use the computer at all, or maybe just one day a week, but that's unrealistic for me in this day and age.

I'm finishing up a few neutral paintings, then I'll move on to the next lesson of 8 Great Paintings.  I'll watch the class videos today, while I'm online.

I've been reading the Freida Klein series of mysteries by Nicci French, the British writing duo.  Am on the third one now.  I'll have to order the fourth via ZipBooks.  The character Freida Klein is a psychotherapist who works with the British police.  Enjoying the series a lot.

Saw an absolutely fantastic French movie via Netflix this week, The Other Son, about two families in Israel, one Jewish, one Palestinian.  Also enjoyed the Brazilian film, House of Sand, recently.

And so it goes.  Have a lovely new week.  xx  

5 comments:

Jan said...

Brava! Enjoy your new regime.

I used to have a rule of computer off until dressed in the am and computer off after 10 pm. I need to get back to that.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Good for you! I think we'd all be better off with less time online. Isn't it funny how even the pleasurable things online soon become a type of obligation? It's crazy. Enjoy the peace!

Nina Fenner said...

I too feel happier when I'm not online so much, I hope you manage to stick to the regime, sounds like a good idea x

Maggi said...

I'm trying to work out a regime which will work for me too. There's something very therapeutic about seeing the black screen as I walk by it. Thanks for the heads up about Nicci French. I've just ordered one from my library.

arlee said...

i think this is an EXCELLENT idea--nothing is so important that it requires an "answer" that day----going to add to my time line as well--and that means more time available!