Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Many Moons

Acrylics on stretched canvas, 11x14 inches
The work with neutrals continues, albeit slowly.  Still, I've put together a nice body of paintings over the last several months.

Not only do I lack the motivation to do a lot of art as I once did, but I'm tired a lot of the time.  I just did a bit of google research on need for sleep, and it turns out that adults really need 9 to 10 hours a night.  I also learned that that meme about older adults needing less sleep is a myth.

I don't drink caffeine, which, despite all the stuff you read about how good it is for you, coffee especially, is really a killer of natural bodily rhythms.  And I don't have any physical problems or ailments, nor am I taking any medications that make one want or need more sleep.

I just think that overall, I don't get enough sleep, even with afternoon naps.  And I really love to sleep.  I love lying down on the couch, reading for a bit, and then drifting off to sleep.  I love lying in bed at night, also usually reading for a bit, feeling sleep overtake me, turning out the light, turning over on my side, getting comfortable, and falling asleep.  I look forward to it at the end of the day.

So here's to sleeping more!  Have a good week.  xx

6 comments:

Els said...

Good night(s) dear friend !

Maggi said...

Lovely piece. Sleep well.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I have been plagued with sleep issues all my life! However, due to a couple of changes I have made over the last couple of months, I am sleeping much better... I cut out chocolate and candy from my diet in late April, and I added a cup of Sleepy Time tea in the evening. I take melatonin... various doses depending on time of year. Now I am sleeping much better, even after my middle of the night trips to the bathroom. I also think regular exercise helps, at least for me. Here's to better night's sleep for all of us!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Like the three moons, but they would keep me up!! I am a coffee drinker and my rhythms are fine. I find that it's the consistancy of get up time and sleep time -5-6 am and 9-10 at night. I too love a good long nap but not every day. I agree that 9 hours is great! But I average 7-8 ish most days. I find that the key for me is doing enough physical exercise and then sleep is a sure thing. xox

tgarrett said...

First what a beautiful painting- the neutrals with that orange- love that. As to sleep- I can't seem to slept all that much I am often up at 4:30 or 5am. I also can't nap. Well hope you are getting more sleep these days.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

This painting is such a perfect illustration for this post. So moody... so... infused with the essence of the night. I really like it.

I always thought I was so lazy (or hopeless) because I have a place to nap in my studio, and frequently used it (this was long before the onset of my current health stuff). Then I discovered an art book I really liked (it's a textbook aimed at students of landscape architecture, written by a professor at Berkeley). There's a section in it on setting up the ideal studio space... which he says must include a place for frequent naps! Sleep, he explains, is such an important part of the creative process.

We have such a screwed up attitude toward sleep in our culture. Sleeping beyond a bare minimum for survival is seen as somehow morally bankrupt. Rather, we should be working (and spending!) every minute we can.

Sleep on! And may you have may good dreams to fuel your creative mind, and a rested body with which you can paint and make things.