Saturday, June 6, 2015

Collaboration

Eons ago (nine years actually) I wove this silk fabric, with shibori gathering threads embedded (woven shibori).  It was the last piece of woven shibori I did, in my art cloth phase...which is why it's so BIG ~ 27 x 100 inches.

Three years ago I finally got around to gathering the threads, and had planned to dye it.  But then I gave up on dyeing for various reasons.  Last year I asked my friend, Sandra Rude, if she would dye it for me, because she still actively dyes a lot of fiber for her weaving.

Recently, Sandra did just that, and she sent the dyed snake (see bottom photo) back to me about a week ago.  Check out Sandra's blog posts about her process.  There are three posts, start with this one, then click "newer post" at the bottom of that one and the next.

Last night I brushed some metallic paint on the ridges of the front of the snake (last photo again), and then hung it up to dry overnight.

This morning I removed the shibori threads and ironed the cloth.  And here it is.

Thanks so much, Sandra, you did an magnificent job dyeing the cloth.  And now that this it's finished, I honestly have no idea what I'll do with it. 

It's way too big and too heavy to use for a scarf or shawl.  It could be a wall hanging or a table cloth.  I thought about using it on the back of my couch, but BeeGee's nails would wreck it.  I could cut it into smaller pieces (halves or quarters) and find other uses.  Got any other ideas?

10 comments:

Pamela Gerard said...

Oh so beautiful -- my first thought was a scarf since I love scarves so much -- but how about some fabulous zippered pouches to store jewelry or art supplies????? Would that work?

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Awestruck! Love the meandering snake like photo and the beautiful colors!

The Idaho Beauty said...

That is really something, beautiful colors. Your dyeing friend did your weaving proud. I would have trouble cutting it up but that may be the only way to make use of it. It begs to be draped as opposed to hung flat. Because it is silk it begs to be touched, felt against the skin. Argh. - what a lovely conundrum!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

No clue how to use it, but it sure is gorgeous. Fiber sculpture on the wall of your big snake! xox

MegWeaves said...

Part of a garment? BIG cushion cover/s? Love the gold and how it makes the cloth look 3D even after you've pressed it.

Maggi said...

How gorgeous. I'm sure that you'll find something to do with it when the time is right and inspiration strikes.

john said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Lucky you to be talented and to have a friend to collaborate with. :-)

Sandra Rude said...

I'm very happy to see that there's a lot of shibori patterning in the cloth - I was worried that I might have oversaturated the cloth with dye so there wouldn't be enough patterning. But it looks great! Love the metallic touch.

Alice said...

A very successful collaboration. Nice to bring it to this point!

Peg Cherre said...

I'm with Meg on the garment idea. How about a wonderful tunic and a little scarf? Or a big swirly long, lightweight jacket?

Thanks for sharing!