Friday, May 22, 2015

Plants Are People Too

Acrylics, magazine pages, digital imagery, 10x10" on stretched canvas
This is the next piece in my little series.  This time I used pieces of torn contemporary magazine pages and big letters, in place of the vintage papers used in the other paintings in this series.

~~~~~

I've had five 12-gallon tubs of bamboo growing outside Rose Cottage for about five years.  Originally there were two bamboo plants that I'd planted in the ground elsewhere, then I dug them up and divided the two into five plants when I relocated here.

They're clumping bamboos, not runners, so they'll stay in a rather confined area by growth habit, spreading out from the center gradually.  Still, they were never really happy in tubs, although they did have a couple of good growing years here.  I'd bought other ornamental grasses in past years that grew in tubs, two of which also seriously needed to be in the ground after a year or two.

I decided to gift these guys to Miranda's Rescue, to plant in the ground on the rescue property.  During the past few months while I was waiting for the plants to actually be picked up, I kept going back and forth in my mind about how many of the bamboos to let go of at this point, whether to keep two or three here.  Because I'd gotten really attached to these plants.  Bamboo holds a place of mythic proportions in my worldview.

On Tuesday, I decided to let them all go, and on Wednesday, seven big tubs of plants were out of here.  I imagined I'd miss the bamboos terribly.  But I haven't, not at all.  I realized that for five years I had been harboring this sense of responsibility to the plants that I subsequently couldn't fulfill.  In the end it became far more important for me to make sure the plants have good lives and grow well than to keep them at Rose Cottage for my ego's sake.  So a huge weight, that I didn't even realize I'd been carrying, was released.

Freedom is at the other side of letting go.  Everything is a metaphor of our lives.

And now my garden contains enough plants, and not too many.  Nothing appears to be missing, visually.  Things are tidier, more compact.  Suits me today.

I'm still taking comments as entries into my Giveaway.  I'll do a drawing tomorrow morning.  If you're unable to leave a comment on the blog, email me here to do so.

8 comments:

ileneharris said...

You are getting ready for a transition. Life is good...

Jacki Long said...

Another beauty Connie! Wonderful!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I like the way it all turned out for you...life lessons come even in our potted plants.
I'm learning some new lessons in losing plants to the drought.

Charlton Stitcher said...

A Lovely thought - freedom as the other side of letting go ... I will remember that.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

I'm sure the rescue loved them.I am looking around the studio and thinking another big purge is in order, need to free up some space to make space in my head. Freedom, yes. xox

my croft said...

I have a philodendron and a snake plant that I inherited from my mother after she passed (2009), that she adopted after my grandmother passed (c.1968). Is three generations of caretaking for these plants that neither she nor I like(d) very much too much? ;-)

Melanie

jackie said...

I understand the feeling, I need to make some changes in my life but it means letting go of routines established over the past nine years. It is hard to do, but like your bamboo I will feel better when the decision is made.
Thanks for visiting.

Maggi said...

Sometimes we just know when it's time to let go.