Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Onto Something

Acrylics, vintage papers, digital imagery on 10x10 stretched canvas
This is one of two pieces I did for Lesson 2 in 8 Great Paintings ~ acrylics, vintage papers, digital imagery on 10 x 10 inch stretched canvas.

I diverged quite a bit from the lesson, meaning I took what I liked from it and left the rest behind.  I'm very happy with this piece, and the second, which I'll post in the next day or two.  Largely because I feel I'm onto something here.

My use of digital images was intended to replace the lesson's use of copyright free designs transferred onto the painted surface.  In order to transfer photo imagery with medium, the images must be toner or laser copied.  I don't have access to a laser printer and I'm too lazy to take images to the local copy shop.  That transfer-with-medium process is hit or miss anyway, it often doesn't work well.

I'd much rather use my own imagery to begin with, and I'd already discovered making and using tissue paper transparencies.  There is one image in this piece, a historical photo of a New York street scene on the left, that isn't my own.  Everything else here, and everything going forward, will be my own imagery.

The images I'm using are photos I took during my surface-design phase, largely images of fabrics that I designed.  I turn off the colors of an image, i.e. make it gray scale.  Depending on the dark to light balance, I might invert the image, i.e. turn it into a negative of itself.  Then I print on tissue paper, cut to size, that has been ironed onto freezer paper also cut to size.  I just put the sheets into my inkjet printer.  It can be dicey separating the tissue from the freezer paper but it just takes patience.  The white areas of the tissue, then, are totally transparent.

I've thought about doing the same thing with deli paper, but I don't care for its translucency.  When I took Jane Davies' classes a while back, I painted shapes on both deli and tissue papers, to adhere with medium over painted areas on some pieces.  I always prefer using the painted tissue papers because the white areas essentially melt away visually, whereas the deli papers leave a haze.

In addition to the second piece that I did for the lesson, I have three more similar paintings in process.

8 comments:

john said...

I love the layers and dept. Great piece!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Nice. I agree with you about medium transfers. I do like photos on silk though and the tissue does just melt to nothing. Gritty nature, good stuff. xox

Leslie said...

This is cool. So much going on and I like the strong vertical feel of it. Obviously something to be said for taking classes that guide you thru a process.

Jacki Long said...

Wonderful work Connie!

CATHY said...

These are great! I am in the class - just no time to create... seeing yours makes me realize I need to pull out the paints! Thanks for the inspiration.

my croft said...

maybe you do something like this already -- but I was thinking about the separation problem and wondered if you put a piece of tape on the trailing edge between the freezer paper and the tissue and warmed the paper after printing, might it be easier to separate?

-Melanie

The Idaho Beauty said...

Interesting information about using the tissue paper. I never think to use it although I know it is an option. Never thought about printing on it and how it would just "disappear" when collaged on. Can see why the deli paper wouldn't appeal used the way you would want to use it. As you already know, I really like this one.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh - and yeah, any of those transfer methods requiring copies made on a machine with toner are out of the question for me too. Just does not make sense having to track one down and pay for the privilege when there are so many other ways to essentially do the same thing.