Monday, May 4, 2015

Off My Game

Collage on painted background on matte board,
5x7 inches
I'm feeling iffy about the last couple paintings I did...so here's a tiny collage from a couple months ago.

I've only begun my latest online class, and already I'm wishing I had it in me to be able to just paint.  If I'm not working to interpret a lesson, loosely or not, or looking at other artists' work for inspiration, then I'm empty of what to do with paint on a substrate.  Guess this is another way of saying that "conversation in my head about not yet finding my own voice" is back for a visit.  Have to remind myself, yet again, that I'm just doing all this to learn, that there are no have to's, no competition, and no rush to get wherever.  But still...

I see a lot of work out there that looks like it was done with a lot of freedom, a lot of unleashed movement, a lot of letting go.  I'm still holding back.  Although I am exactly where I am...which is really the only place I can be now.

Big day in town tomorrow ~ my first trip in a month, and I won't go again for another five weeks.  So far this schedule is working for me.  It has become rather nightmareish the last few years, driving into and around Eureka ~ there are so many bad drivers and too many cars on the road.   I don't know how people live in metro areas and drive all the time.  I couldn't do it anymore; I feel blessed that I don't have to.

8 comments:

Jacki Long said...

You are sooo very talented Connie!
I love every blog and every work! ♥

Jacki Long said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jacki Long said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sandra Rude said...

You've always managed to find your voice before - sometimes the class may be making you lean too far in a direction that doesn't seem comfortable, but later it'll feel right. Keep up the beautiful work!

Charlton Stitcher said...

I think your voice rings out loud and clear, each piece being very clearly yours. Your wish to experiment and learn is perhaps part of that voice ...

Emma said...

Well, I'm loving your paintings! & look at you in 'living with art' I've see a few places on fb but really enjoyed seeing your place ;)

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

One of the things I taught in my intuitive painting workshops is to take some paints and just cover the surface with color every which way until something emerges. Or take some crayons/pastels and scribble. Gets the juices flowing and starts a way forward. That white substrate is very good at bringing on the critic in your head. Or start journaling all over the canvas and then begin to cover it with paint, or collage every which way until you "feel" something showing up. "Trust the brush" xox

Leslie said...

Quite like the collage - great color combo.