Friday, May 1, 2015

Blockadia

This is my first painting for Lesson 1 of 8 Great Paintings, my second Julie Prichard class.  As I did in the last class, I'll be making way more than eight paintings.

This was an exercise in weighting the painting rather heavily on the bottom.  My piece is small, 8 x 10 inches on a canvas I had previously gessoed and etched.  Then I painted over with black gesso and built the painting on that.

Looks like it's going to be a beautiful weekend here, temps in the low 60s.  I heard it was nearly 90 degrees in San Francisco yesterday ~ that's just too hot for this time of year and that place.  Late last week we were hit on the North Coast with haze from forest fires in Siberia; this weekend it's expected to be much the same.  This really is a small planet we live on.

And speaking of Earth and climate, I just finished reading Naomi Klein's This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate.  If you really want to know what's happening around the world regarding the climate crisis ~ and there are bad and good things happening ~ I can't recommend this book highly enough.  It certainly opened my eyes.

Have a great weekend.  xx

p.s.  Julie posted my painting on her Facebook page today.  Here's her blurb:  " Great! The painting is on Facebook now... tell your friends if they want to join in the fun, they can save $10 off this workshop this weekend ! Use the code MAYDAY at check out. :)"  Got it?  Enroll in 8 Great Paintings this weekend and save $10!

3 comments:

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Fires, volcanos, earthquakes and it hits us all in one way or another. We need a sturdy base like your painting. xox

Charlton Stitcher said...

How wonderfully calming this is - and I love the etching ...

MegWeaves said...

Interesting textures, Connie. But the you were always skillful at subtle layers of textures.