Monday, April 20, 2015

Little by Little

Acrylics and vintage papers on canvas panel, 12x12 inches
This is the second piece I did for Lesson 10.  This week I'll work on Lesson 11, and that'll be it for this class.  I'll be starting another one of Julie Pritchard's classes (8 Great Paintings) right after this one.

I've read a lot of books recently ~ another in the Lynley series, another of John Harvey's, another of Joseph Finders.  The standout book was The Years by Nicholas Delbanco.  I read that one over the weekend and was really moved by it.

Even though I have no idea when I will be making that "final" move, and even though it might be a couple years or more, I have begun to tidy up things around the house.  Little by little I've been taking down decorative stuff, cleaning it up really well (because everything in my home is horribly dusty), and packing it away.  I'm liking having less stuff around me, although I've hardly made a dent.  It's refreshing to see white spaces on the walls.

And little by little I am loosening my hold on artworks I made years ago, especially art quilts.  I've had my quilts somewhat organized by category ~ a) okay to sell/donate; b) sell/donate later; c) definite keepers.  I've very slowly been selling off pieces from the first category over the last couple years, as well as donating work annually to my favorite local animal welfare organizations.    Recently I've moved into the second category. 

I was invited to participate in the 7th annual Artists of the Emerald Coast this coming Saturday in southern Humboldt (an afternoon-evening art, wine, hors d'oeuvres and music affair), and mostly I'll be taking art quilts from my "sell/donate later" category.  Later is now.

Have a good week.  xx

7 comments:

ileneharris said...

Good luck at the Art Show! I hope you have a place to stay overnight there with old friends, so you don't have to drive home late.

I m honored to have those two pieces of yours. Truly...

Jan said...

I like this painting--of course anything with vintage papers rings my bell.

I like "late is now". Good for me to remember.

Anna H said...

Another beauty Connie! Love it!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Nice work as always. It feels good to declutter and donate and get rid of. As I look around the studio even now, there is too much. So I am going to make a concerted effort to use it up or give it away as often as I can. Make space for wandering in the mind. xox

jenclair said...

Love the shimmery effect of this painting! I make efforts at disposal and de-cluttering, but I'm never consistent.

Maggi said...

It reminds me of old crumbling walls.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I like reading about de-cluttering as it encourages me to do the same. I thought this home would be my last but I'm having second thoughts...time to let go of so much so it can happen when the time comes.
I like seeing the results of these online classes...you have a rich palette.