Thursday, April 2, 2015

Grunge

Acrylics on canvas panel, 12x12 inches
Lesson 7 was to create a grunged up painting that looks old and weather-beaten.  That diagonal shadow near the bottom is a lighting glitch, not part of the painting. 

I've been reading novels by Lisa Unger, an author I haven't read for close to ten years.  Recently I finished Fragile and Darkness, My Old Friend.  Enjoyed them both.

Started John Harvey's Charlie Resnick series, with Lonely Hearts.  I like the character as well as the author's writing style, so I'll continue with the series.

I'm now reading What Came Before He Shot Her, the next for me in the Inspector Lynley series, although Lynley isn't in the book.  I just found out that Elizabeth George has a brand new book in the series, A Banquet of Consequences, due to be published in October of this year.

Via Netflix, I've recently seen Get On Up, a biopic of James Brown that I enjoyed a lot.  Also, The Theory of Everything (excellent; Eddie Redmayne deserved every bit of his Oscar and Golden Globe awards for his role), and Kings of Pastry, a documentary about French pastry chefs ~ also enjoyable. 

When the post office is doing what they should be doing, I can get two DVDs a week from Netflix, one at a time.  That hasn't been the case lately, though.  It can take 3 or 4 days for them to get my movies back in the mail, even though I send them back the day after I receive them.  Wonder what's going on with the postal service in these parts...  I'd still rather not pay more money to get two movies at a time, because most nights I'd rather read than watch something.  At this rate, though, it'll take me three years to get through my queue at Netflix...and that's if I don't add anything else.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

Love the grunge and you did a good job with this one. Would make a great digital collage background. In fact, if you're interested in a bit of a collaboration, send me a hi res file and I'll do something on it and send it back.

ileneharris said...

So happy you saw Theory of Everything - my favorite movie in a long, long time. Hope you are doing well...

Roberta Warshaw said...

Well, your post office doesn't have the excuse that our post office had/has! Too much snow! We went for weeks this winter with NO MAIL. It was scary really. It made us realize the importance of never getting any checks in the mail for anything. Direct deposit only. We still don't know what important things we are missing and the post office is still not back on track yet even though the snow is pretty much gone now.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Marvelous grunge. Been reading another Adler-Olson, the Marco Effect which is good. Working on the house....and more working on the house. 50 today and looking forward to planning a bit of a veg garden. Going to try Straw bale this year. xox

Jan said...

What Came Before He Shot Her is one of the most difficult, frustrating and depressing book I've ever read. Take care, and believe me that it is not germane to the series at all, so nothing lost if you don't read it. FYI...
It was eye-opening to the extreme. Some things I just don't need to know...

hugs

Jan said...

I know what you mean about never getting through your netflix queue...we are in the same boat!

And...I like your grunge! Did you know that there's a line of fabric called that--many colors of "grunge" to use as solids, but with texture, visual, that is!

jenclair said...

I changed to just receiving the streaming version of Netflix; there are a few things I can't get because they are disk only, but I no longer have to wait for something to arrive.

Maggi said...

The painting certainly does have an old and weather-beaten look.