Thursday, April 9, 2015

Abalone Aficionado

Acrylics and abalone on canvas panel, 12x12 inches
This painting is my first for Lesson 9, another embed exercise.  This lesson was hosted by Chris Cozen whereas Lesson 8 was Julie Pritchard's take on embedding.  I love that in this class we learn from both artists, who have different approaches to painting.

I've been doing a couple of paintings for each lesson, really using this class as an opportunity to experiment and try different things ~ rather than feeling as though I need to power through the lessons to get to the end.  Saturday I'll post the second piece for Lesson 8; today I'll be working on the second piece for Lesson 9.

I awoke this morning to a renewed burst of creative energy.  Yes I've been painting recently, but it seemed that I'd lost the drive to do much else creatively.  I'm feeling a bit more oomph today, though, and I'm glad for it.

I've always loved abalone shells ~ who doesn't?  The pieces embedded here have been in my collection for at least 15 years, since I made beaded jewelry.  One of my favorite things to do back then was to create abalone brooches by beading around the chunks.  Occasionally I made abalone earrings as well.  And then there were the several times I created a palette of abalone colors to dye silk fiber with, and subsequently spin into yarn.



14 comments:

ileneharris said...

Beautiful colors! Sea-like. I have a tiny, whole abalone shell that I picked up on a beach on Catalina Island when I was thirteen and at Girl Scout Camp. Guess I was a searcher even then...

Els said...

Oh my .... those colours in the silk and the handspun yarn, Connie : MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM !
(to dive into with some needles ;-) !)

Nina Fenner said...

Love both your embedded pieces, I have lots of precious 'bits and pieces', these are inspiring me to do something with them …on paper, with stitch too perhaps?!

Sandra Rude said...

Oh, my! That yarn is gorgeous! Yummy in the extreme...

MegWeaves said...

What Sandra said; you always made attractive yarns.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Fantastic to incorporate the abalone into the painting. xox

Pamela Gerard said...

Beautiful colors.....

The Idaho Beauty said...

So beautiful how you picked up the colors in the abalone, making the most subtle ones the boldest.

Jan said...

Those are the earrings you gave me--I love them! I love everything in this post--the colors, the textures, all are exquisite.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

You got my attention! Love what you are doing with the class exercises, and everything abalone! Years ago, I was at Laguna Beach with a friend, and stepped on a shell while I was wading. We fished it out, and my friend took it home, dipped it in sealer and put felt on the bottom. I still have it in my curio cabinet... a gift from the sea!
BTW, your yarn is gorgeous... wish I could find some like that in the stores!

jenclair said...

I love that silk fiber and the beautiful yarn!

Judy said...

Well, I'm very, very late to the party, but I too WANT THAT YARN!!!!

xxoo

Maggi said...

Such gorgeous colours and I love that yarn. Do you still have it or is it sold?

Leslie said...

Well, along with everyone else, I'll add my mmmmm's to this post. Cool painting, great colors, yummy fiber, gorgeous yarn.
I'm not a huge abalone fan, of wearing chunks of it, but do love its colors.