Friday, March 27, 2015

Working my way back home

Acrylics on canvas panel, 11x14 inches
This is the first piece (of three) I did for LL2.0 Lesson 6, 11 x 14 inches on canvas panel.  I really liked the techniques in this lesson a lot...in fact, I'm really loving the class.  I'll be taking more classes from Julie and/or Chris in the future.

Yesterday I was in a funk, an overload of empathy for people and animals in horrendous situations, as well as the "heinous things going on in the world" du jour.  It all just gets to me sometimes, and renders me momentarily immobile.  In the afternoon I painted myself out of the darkness, although not with this painting.  In a couple days I'll post Thursday's painting.

I don't have to be anywhere or do anything away from Rose Cottage for the foreseeable future.  Which blisses me out no end.  I just want to paint, and read, and sleep.

A few weeks ago I took a painting break to make a journal for a friend's birthday in early April.  Gave it to him yesterday, early, so I'll show it to you.

I covered boards with pieces of a batiked and hand painted scarf I bought in Puerto Vallerta in 1989.  I never really wore it, because the metallic paint made it stiff, and the hemmed cotton edges meant the scarf never fell right.  Recently I ripped off the fringe and edges so I could use the fabric for other things.  I still have a lot left.

My friend likes lots of room to write, so other than the collage signature covers, there are few embellished pages.  Because he loves my art journals, I printed digital images of some of the best journal pages and adhered them to 12 of the heavy drawing paper pages.  And there are six pockets.

He loves the journal, of course.

Hope you have a good weekend.  xo


15 comments:

Pamela Gerard said...

OH! That journal for your friend is so wonderful!

jenclair said...

What a beautiful gift!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I like everything you have posted...your recent work and this great journal.
I get so excited when I see a row of days without obligations...a time to stay home and go to the work table...pure joy!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

MMMM yummy piece, makes me think of the southwest even though the colors are brighter, symbolic in many ways. xox

Anna H said...

Connie, I love your piece and the journal, your work always inspires me. I also understand your "funk". Those feelings of overwhelm get to me sometimes too, especially where animals are concerned. Maybe next time it happens I will try to paint my way out, or collage, or sew, or whatever. Thanks for all your sharing.

Jacki Long said...

What a glorious gift, a treasure!
You are sooo talented Connie Rose!

Roberta Warshaw said...

I know I have said this before but your journals are really amazing....And I love seeing what you are doing in Julie and Chris's class.

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a lovely gift - and so well thought through. Nice painting too, btw! And a good weekend to you as well. Isn't it lovely to have no commitments or needs outside your own 4 walls?

Jan said...

What a wonderful gift.

I know what you mean about "the world is too much with me"...not enough good news, though it is out there. Glad you were able to paint yourself out of it.

xo

ileneharris said...

I especially like the outlining in black ink. Which tool did you use? The journal is lovely. Lucky recipient...

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Fabulous, fabulous work, both the painting and the journal! As for the world, it is overwhelming and incredibly ugly at times... glad you were able to use your creative talents to work past the funk. Looking forward to seeing what you were working on!

Charlton Stitcher said...

Love the painting and the book - that outside cover is delicious!

Maggi said...

Another painting that I really like and I love the book.

Dotti said...

Love the lines and rich rich colors! Which class are you taking. Have never taken one from Julie and or Chris but have heard that they are well worth it!

Leslie said...

Love the colors and shapes in the painting. Might have to look into a class...
And lucky person who got the cool book. I would like to have been a book binder in days of yore.