Monday, March 16, 2015

Gradient Tool

One of the first lessons in Layer Love 2.0 was to paint gradients.  Starting with different colors at each end of a board or canvas, we pulled the colors together with the addition of OPEN medium and paint.

I liked these so much that I wanted to post them.  The first three are on matte board, which is a fantastic surface for this exercise.  The last one is on a canvas panel.  I won't be working on matte board for the actual paintings I'll do in the class, but I am using matte boards to paint collage backgrounds with leftover paint on my palette.

Today I'll start in with the meat of the course, actually making a painting.  Looking forward to that.

Re: painting, in general ~ I'm no longer procrastinating or feeling afraid to just get in there and paint.  Which feels like huge progress for me.  Again, I'll say that that several-month break I took between my last online painting class a year ago, and actually starting to paint a month ago or so, was a good thing.  It was a good lesson in: when you're feeling stuck and can't move forward, stop doing whatever it is and don't feel guilty about it.  Just let things marinate for a while without conscious attention.  Then come back to it when you really feel moved to do so.  It works.



9 comments:

Anna H said...

Those look great Connie, can't wait to see how this progresses for you. I had considered taking that class, will maybe have to consider again!

john said...

I am calmed by the gradient work you did. Just lovely!

ileneharris said...

The last one is my favorite. Could be a painting on its own. Just like that!

Reminder that you are invited to Gelli Painting here on Thursdsy. Tattered Pages and your friend, Pat, will be here...

Jan said...

These are all lovely, and yes, serene.

Rachel and I were talking today about how talented you are...she is over the moon happy with her postcard!

Jeanne Aird said...

Really lovely backgrounds. I especially like the last one. Very atmospheric. What do you mean by OPEN medium? I'm not familiar with that.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Two perfect words from above...serene and atmospheric best describe these beginning paintings!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Ooh your last one makes me want to take a dip in the sea. xox

Charlton Stitcher said...

These are beautiful ... Those gentle gradations of colour are so restful. Lovely!

Maggi said...

Lovely backgrounds. You will certainly enjoy working on them.