Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Good Enough

I completed this 16 x 20 inch painting (on canvas) yesterday.  I'd been working on it for several days.  I decided it's good enough and I can move on.  This is my second intuitive-style painting.  There are areas of this painting that really speak to me, that I want to explore further and build upon in a later piece.

The parts I like best about this one were painted with my index finger.  I'm going to have to do more of that, although I do like working with various brushes and other marking tools in this painting lab I've undertaken for myself.

I'm taking a brief respite from painting today to work on a journal for a friend's birthday in early April.

And other than that, it's effectively spring here on the north coast.  Looks like our unbelievably severe drought in California will see no relief this year...and with global warming, we could be in for a return to desert-like conditions throughout the state.  I say "return," because California, for all intents and purposes, was desert before the advent of dams and the rerouting of most of the state's water resources to the L.A. Basin and the Bay Area.  It'll be interesting to see how this scenario unfolds in years to come.

P.S.  If you have any interest in learning about California's water history, definitely read Cadillac Desert by Mark Reisner.  Outstanding expose'.

6 comments:

Pamela Gerard said...

Desert -- no kidding. This crazy warm weather and no rain is awful. People seem to be in denial. Glad to see you are painting again -- you do it so well.

Charlton Stitcher said...

Lovely vibrant colours in this piece. You talk of parts that speak to you especially... me too. It makes me want to enlarge it and place my little viewing window over it to isolate some of the corners ..

FarStarr said...

I would love to send you some snow! Just say the word! :)

Suze Termaat said...

Nice work, going t be very happy.

Alice said...

This is an exciting piece, Connie. And I love the concept of Good Enough. It frees you to go on to whatever's next.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Yow! This one is full of life and of course the colors really grab me! As for CA, been there lived through that long enough. Arizona is much more to my liking these days...