Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Room to Move


I finished this painting yesterday ~ 20 x 20 inches on canvas.  This is my first Flora Bowley-style brave, intuitive painting, and I loved every minute of creating it.

I had no plan.  I just started with a drippy background, and built four layers on top of that, drying well between each.

I love painting big, where there's room to move on the canvas.  Twenty by twenty is about as large as I can go in my tiny studio ~ there's not just the challenge of how to arrange things so I can actually paint, there's the bigger problem of where to store the painted canvases once they're complete.  I've got the first issue worked out to my satisfaction, and about where to store finished work, somehow I'll manage.

Something shifted for me recently, likely with this painting.  I'm feeling more confident about everything I paint, big or small, wild or sedate.  It all works for me now.

Having taken a break from painting for most of last year, after my second Jane Davies class, was a good thing.  I've come back to it with fresh eyes and a new sense of wanting to try different things.  I don't have to develop "my own style," I can jump around, experiment, work with a variety of techniques and methods, learn from others' work that I admire.

I'm ready for more instructional input now, as well. I'll likely sign up for Layer Love 2.0 next month, Chris Cozen and Julie Pritchard's online class that so many friends raved about last year.  I'm also looking at taking Jane Davies' 100 Drawings class in September.

I've got a couple of painting books in my cart at Amazon, as well ~ Paint Mojo by Tracy Verdugo (who's style is similar to Flora Bowley's), and The Painting Workbook by Alena Hennessey.

It's pretty much all about paint for me right now.


18 comments:

Pamela Gerard said...

All about the paint -- that sounds like a good thing! Have fun.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Something really compelling about this. I think it may be the colors you chose. But I also love the shapes & the small accent dots. A painting to savor for all it has to offer.

Leslie said...

I quite like this one. Good colors and lots of pleasing organic shapes. Feels under sea-ish to me, prolly cause of all the drips and the little jelly fish-like things. Very nice!

Gerrie said...

I love this. So joyful. I think you are on to something great for you.

Jan said...

You might guess that I would love this--if only for the colors, but the design is fabulous, too! Brava!

MegWeaves said...

Love squares, love blues, so what's not to love. Although this morning, my eyes went straight to the colors inside the leaves.

ileneharris said...

Vibrant and lively! I especially like the inclusion of reds and purples. I can see that you are branching out in new directions...

Sandra Rude said...

Love it! Gorgeous colorway.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

I needed to see something beautiful today. Thank you.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

I say create whatever you want, as long as it brings you joy! And this looks lovely and fun and joyful indeed.

(I originally wrote a longer and possibly--or possibly not--more insightful comment, but Google saw fit to dump it… alas.)

Emma said...

Isn't it great when you can love every minute of it? These are striking & you've been working with such color recently, lovely.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Good colors! I've worked outside when the weather has been warm and used large heavy weight paper taped to a piece of plywood. For storage...paper rolls up nicely. Have fun with your classes!

Maggi said...

So vibrant.

Charlton Stitcher said...

And it's so good to see you back. I really loved all your paintings when you were doing the course. Here's to more pleasure for both painter and viewer! (That's what this art-and-blogging thing is all about)

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Bold, drippy style. Enjoy the process. xox

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love this! So full of life and joy!

Rhonda H said...

love these! There definitely seems to be painting in the air lately!