Monday, February 23, 2015

Inspiration

I recently discovered artist Paul Balmer.  I especially love his painted cityscapes and landscapes.  This 8 x 11 inch painting on matte board is my take on one of his cityscapes.  His originals are quite large.

I like the exercise of trying to replicate others' work.  Lots to learn there.  Not to turn out copies, but to experiment with techniques as well as to see the world through other artists' vision and imagination.

Recently, I finished reading A Sudden Light, by Garth Stein.  Really enjoyed that.  He also wrote The Art of Racing in the Rain several years ago, another terrific book.

I also read A Murder in Tuscany, another of Christobel Kent's P.I. Sandro Cellini mysteries.  Wish my library had more of them.  I'm going to have to start requesting books via interlibrary loan.

Yesterday I read most of Rosamund Lupton's Sister, her debut novel.  (I read Afterwards, her second novel, not long ago.)  She's an amazing author, not to be missed.  She has a third book out, currently unavailable from the local library.

In 2011 I planted freesia bulbs around the edge of my rock lawn, digging down through two layers of heavy landscape cloth and clay/rock soil to set the bulbs.  Although I've had flowers every year since 2012, this year the plants themselves are stunning, and the flowers are more beautiful than ever.  I decided to cut them this year, which has created even more blooms.  I have four vases of freesias gracing Rose Cottage at the moment, and I keep replacing spent flowers with new stems daily. 

Hope you have a wonderful week.  xo

11 comments:

Jan said...

I love your cityscape! And it's a time-honored tradition and great learning tool to copy another artist's work.

I love freesias--wish we'd planted some. I imagine rose cottage smells lovely.

Charlton Stitcher said...

How wonderful to grow your own freesias - and have them flower in February too. We have nothing so exotic - just a small display of snowdrops opposite our kitchen window and a clump of primroses (such a favourite of mine) by a small stone wall further down the garden.
Small though they are, the promise spring ...

Els said...

Lovely seaside landscape Connie !
Mmmmmmmm I can almost smell them ;-)

Meg Fowler said...

Love your new painting, Connie! Wonderfully, grittily expressive. Thanks for the intro to a new artist for me. Makes me want to drag out my paints! Now, if I only had a vase full of freesias ..........

Pamela Gerard said...

Love the flowers -- and the painting too!

MegWeaves said...

Like like like. Your place must smell wonderful! I know what you mean by "copying". I learned a lot from just sketching shapes off of Picasso's still lifes (still lives??), how he saw things, how he composed, etc. Lovely work.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

freesias ... what a spirit lifter for these cold days!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Wow, he has nice work. I like his freer work rather than the more formal, but that's me. Reading Garth Stein too. And several others. Did the book arrive? xox

Maggi said...

Beautiful freesias. Are they they the perfumed variety? Thanks for the book recommendations.

Jacki Long said...

I like this one a lot!
Your HB card is in process ...
I need more time! ;op

Rhonda H said...

wow your freesias are already blooming? Maybe mine are being slower from less watering here in Sacramento... looking forward to them though, love the smell! Yours are gorgeous!