Thursday, January 22, 2015

Picking up where I left off...

I have a stack of unfinished paintings from early last year that I'm finishing up so I can move on.  These are all small ~ 5-1/2 or 6 inches square.

My strategy now is to work things until I like them they way they are.  I'm not one to continually rework something to make it "better."  And if I'm not liking something and it can't easily be reworked to be more pleasing to my eye, then I'm tossing it.  It's not worth my time and energy to rework and rework and rework.  That's beside the point for me.  The point being, I don't care if it's "good," I only care if I like it and if I've enjoyed making it.  If it also turns out to be "good," then so much the better.


8 comments:

ileneharris said...

It's always invigorating to branch out. Nice work! I have a few new things up my sleeve that I'll share with you when we get together.

john said...

I so wish we lived closer. Your thinking matches mine to the T. This is work from an online class. I recognize it. Have fun reworking for yourself. :-P

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Key words here "If I like it and I enjoyed making it" I so agree with you ...enjoy this time of getting back to painting!

Peggy Lynn said...

These are just flat-out yummy!! Thanks for sharing.

Charlton Stitcher said...

What a great philosophy!
Love the colours in the top two and love the middle one with all its layers and textures.

Charlton Stitcher said...

What a great philosophy!
Love the colours in the top two and love the middle one with all its layers and textures.

Michele Unger said...

I so agree with you! I, too, only care if I think something I've done is pleasing to me. "Good" to me. I have to keep reminding my husband that he can't tell me what of my work is "good" or "bad," he can only tell me what HE likes or doesn't.

I also agree with you in tossing something that you don't like or can't "fix." Why waste the energy?

I really like what you've shown us. (I'm fixated with circles right now, myself, and they keep turning up in my current work.)

Leslie said...

*Love* the second one. If you get tired of looking at it, I'll give it a good home on my art-made-by-my-friends wall! Will trade for whatever I can make that you'd like, if you're interested.