Saturday, January 31, 2015

Generosity

Recent sunset over Eel River Valley, 2015
The older I am and the less I have materially, the more generous I've become.  Largely this is because there's no longer anything I'm trying to get or have.  Also, it's true what they say ~ It feels good to be generous.  And I'm convinced generosity is part of my karmic path.  I grew up with a paucity of charitableness coming toward me, in all domains, including financial assistance, compassion, openheartedness, etc.  So one would think I might turn out to be selfish; but I haven't.  I've been anything but selfish in my life, and have become even more generous with age.

I wrote my will several months ago, which was a really excellent exercise.  I don't have anything substantial to leave, just the relatively low-value stuff I do have, most of that artwork I've created.  But really thinking about who I want to get what, and in the process inventorying everything I possess, brought a sense of clarity with it.  It also enabled me to cut to the chase, so to speak, with regard to the people in my life.

That process also made me realize that although I could die with a lot of stuff, I want to offload as much as I can before I go, over a reasonable period of time, so that I can delight in other peoples' joy...both the joy of receiving, and the joy inherent in having been helped in some way from what I have to give ~ stuff, my time, and the sharing of my skills.

When I do leave this life, and I am in excellent health and plan to be around for another 30 years or so, I want to be remembered for having been generous and openhearted, among other things.  I want to have righted the line of selfishness and lack of compassion that I was brought up with.

Have a good weekend.  xo

10 comments:

Dori Singh said...

Well said

ileneharris said...

Lovely photo - and we have had some gorgeous sunrises and sunsets lately. Also wise words. I personally feel that generosity can be demonstrated in many ways and non-material ones are often the most appreciated...

Maggi said...

Well expressed Connie and the sunset is amazing.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

One thing you have been very generous with is your willingness to share your knowledge and experience. That is a true gift to all who have read your blog! And yes, the sunset is wonderful...

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Great post. xox

Marybeth said...

Every blog you write and picture you share therein is a gift to me so thank you for what you have posted in the past and thank you for what you will share in the future! You are a "gifted" person with so many talents and that is why following your journey is a journey for all your readers.

Jan said...

You've touched my heart, and not for the first time. Gorgeous sky and I'm so happy for you as you break the chain.

Charlton Stitcher said...

Generosity - of spirit, of what we know as well as materially is behind all good relationships - I admire your intentions

john said...

No problem there. I think of you as generous but also one of the kindest people I know.

Jan Jackson said...

Connie, I agree with others - your generosity is evident with your blog and how you share your talent and thoughts with your readers (even lurkers like me appreciate it!)