Thursday, January 8, 2015

A Little Something on the Side

This isn't the next big thing for me, just a little something I've been working on in snippets of time over the last couple weeks.  Most of this batch of postcards (and all of these six) are illustrations from a kids' book about Luther Burbank.  I colored them with stamp pad ink applied with cosmetic sponges.

I've been busier than usual this week, through yesterday.  Today I'm resting up, or will be after I finish this post.  Catching up on "me" time.  I've begun volunteering my time with Miranda's Rescue, in the admin office, doing a little of this and a little of that, development and P.R. stuff mostly ~ the parts I really liked when I was employed with nonprofits.  It feels really good to be volunteering my time ~ an excellent confluence of where my heart is, with animal rescue work, and this time in my life when I'm retired from paid work.

I'm reading Fallen Land by Patrick Flanery, and enjoying it immensely.   Will look for his first, Absolution.  I'm glad there are so many outstanding new authors these days.  What a feeling of security that I will never run out of good things to read in my lifetime.


7 comments:

PamelaArtsinSF said...

OooOoooo of curse I absolutely LOVE these -- so cool. (Got your letter too). My turn!I hope I get a stamp head!

Charlton Stitcher said...

What a joy and comfort it is to have a good book to read! I can't imagine life without it. Have you read 'Philomena' by Martin Sixsmith? It's outside my normal comfort zone but powerful and thought-provoking book that lead to the recent film of the same name.

Leslie said...

Those are fun! Kudos to whoever thought up the whole stamp head thing.

ileneharris said...

Miranda's Rescue! I am delighted to hear that you are volunteering there and how fortunate they are to have you. Sounds like a perfect match...

Meg Fowler said...

I can't think of a better "job" for you!!! How perfect!!! Cool stamp heads, too.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

These stamp heads are adorable. The sponge paint application makes them so "kid like" . xox

john said...

These are just so whimsical. Fantastic!