Monday, December 8, 2014

Stuff

I showed you this journal sometime earlier in the year.  It was to be my hybrid writing journal/daily-ish art journal.  I've been working in it since August.  Here are a few page images.

I'd taken the removable spiral binding out of the Cachet grid journal, stitched stuff on a number of pages, stacked the stitched pages alternately with non-stitched ones, and put the spiral binding back in.  

I've been using bits and pieces of Teesha Moore's collage sheets to further embellish the non-stitched as well as the stitched pages.  She graciously made available for download a ton of her fab collage imagery to members of the Artstronaut's Club this year.  The collage sheets were really the only things I took away from a year in the club.  It was just way too overwhelming, all the inspiration and ideas that were posted nearly every day.  There was no way I could have kept up even if I'd wanted to.  After all, this was the year I let go of so much DO.  Needless to say, I will not be renewing my membership for 2015.  More is never better in my book ~ it just engenders insanity.


I'm reading an incredible first novel by Smith Henderson, called Fourth of July Creek.  It's amazingly good.

I've seen a number of excellent films and miniseries via Netflix recently, too ~
  • Skin, with Sophie Okinedo, Sam Neill and Alice Krige
  • Spider, with Ralph Fiennes, Miranda Richardson and Gabriel Byrne
  • Iris, with Judi Dench, Kate Winslett, Hugh Bonneville and Jim Broadbent
  • The Politician's Wife, with Juliet Stevenson
  • The State Within, with Jason Issacs, Ben Daniels and Sharon Gless
  • Albert Nobbs, with Glenn Close
  • Buena Vista Social Club, documentary
  • Finding Vivian Maier, documentary
  • Tim's Vermeer, documentary

By and large, I prefer obscure films, many of them British or otherwise foreign.  How do I find them?  I peruse Netflix's offerings regularly and check the ratings.  I stay away from mass-marketed movies unless the film has had really good reviews and/or I want to see the particular actors' work.  The coming-soon trailers on the films I do watch nearly always have a couple of movies I want to see and I add those to my queue at Netflix.  I've got over 100 films in my queue at the moment.

Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Have a good week.  xo

4 comments:

PamelaArtsinSF said...

That's a mighty fine looking journal....

ileneharris said...

I think it is a great idea to take something apart, embellish and upcycle it and then put it back together -giving it new life...

The Idaho Beauty said...

"More is never better in my book ~ it just engenders insanity." Oh, I love that! I've been saying "more is just more" for a long time. Had not thought about the insanity part but you are so right!

Michele Unger said...

Beautiful journal. Thanks for the list of movies. We have the same taste in film, I do believe, and I got a couple of suggestions there from you.

Just watched a very difficult, hard film, but well done and worth the effort (IMHO) called War Witch. You might find it worthwhile. It's hard to watch but the young lady lead was awesome.