Friday, November 28, 2014

Totally Carried Away

I just finished this book...for the second time.  I bought it early this year for the cover, plus it had a cool spine.  My first attempt at making it into a journal was completed yesterday.  It was originally sewn on ribbon tapes which weren't visible because of the spine.  But I kept looking at it last night...I didn't like the way it went together inside.  So after a couple hours, I just ripped it apart.  Originally there were four signatures of six folios.

The book wasn't in the greatest shape to begin with ~ I think was from the very early 1900s ~ and I subsequently couldn't save the spine.  Once I'd decided to rebuild it with Coptic stitch binding, I decided to add two signatures, which proved unnecessary.  Consequently the finished book is really fat and doesn't stay closed without a black velvet ribbon.  Which is just fine.  Plus, the pages are slightly wider than the covers...oh well.

Anyway, the finished specs are these ~ 144 pages (6 signatures of 6 folios each), 11 foldouts and 23 pockets.  I definitely got carried away on this one. 




12 comments:

Anna H said...

Connie, I just love these book you have been making, maybe you should offer a class?

PamelaArtsinSF said...

Another beauty! Oh yes -- a class would be nice with special tips for people like me who are very sloooooow at understanding these things....

ileneharris said...

I sent a comment as a reply instead of here, so I thought I would repeat it. I really like the mixture of colors in this particular journal. And, as a side comment, I have seen old and frayed spines used as bookmarks...

Jacki Long said...

Another beauty Connie!
And, in my opinion ...
any slight irregularities that your expert eyes catch,
probably glide right by mine.
Great work, as always.

Charlton Stitcher said...

What a roll you're on right now, Connie ... The results are amazing!

Roberta said...

Another beauty!

CarolOlive100 said...

I think an online class would be great....I would certainly take it.....Are you selling these journals on Etsy....I checked the site and did not find any of your journals....Was I looking in the wrong place?

Jan said...

Beautiful...and the title is incredible! What a find and I love what you did with it. xo

Leslie said...

Marvelous cover. I might have mounted and framed it lol. Lots of cool books you're turning out up there.

jenclair said...

Love the cover! You find such delicious stuff to work with!

Nina Fenner said...

Beautiful, love seeing your work

Maggi said...

Another great book Connie.