Tuesday, November 4, 2014

One For The Books

This is my kind of handbound journal, finished yesterday.  An old kids' primer newly bound with the Coptic stitch.  The book is 7-3/4 high by 6-1/2 wide.

Half of the folios are pieces of my old collages, the rest are drawing paper, cardstock and other scrapbook paper.  The book contains pockets galore, 14 of them in different sizes, shapes and materials, all of which were stitched on.  There are also a few foldouts.

This is bookmaking at its finest, to me, my own take on it ~ a variety of papers some blank and some not, page colors analogous to the covers, machine-stitched pages and pockets.

I may actually be on a bit of a roll at the moment.  I loved making this book.  There are more, in different styles, to follow.

Have a great week!  xo





12 comments:

PamelaArtsinSF said...

What a beauty!!!! Love it!!!!

ileneharris said...

How satisfying to take skills gathered, lessons taught and combine those with your own style and preferences. Yes,
Satisfying indeed...

Alice said...

A nourishing book, like a ten course meal. You've packed a lot in here! Really nice.

Jacki Long said...

Looks terrific Connie!
Your skills are showing! ;oD

Peggy Lynn said...

YUM!!

Gill said...

Fabulous!

The Idaho Beauty said...

I feel on the verge of a bookbinding binge myself. All those books from the library, fascination with this very stitch, thinking I need to just go through one of the books and make one of each kind, find a favorite. Of course, I'm holding myself up a bit with what I will use for text blocks. Some of the books from the library suggest doing exactly what you have done here. I need to just go for it!

Jan said...

I especially like this--for the education angle and the colors. Your books are so delightful and so...so...so wonderful. Running out of just the right adjective.

Maggi said...

I really like the pages within this book. Thanks for the introduction to Tana French by the way. I have just ordered a copy from my library. I'm finding lots of new favourites through your recommendations.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Quality and thoughtful workmanship ... beautiful and a true keepsake!

john said...

I can so appreciate your work on this book. I just completed a coptic stitch and I know how wonderful it felt to have accomplished it. Way to go!

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Looks great Connie! Mine are quite a bit different from yours, but the idea is similar--make a little bit of joy in the form of interesting pages to play with. I think it's such a gift to know how to make a book like that. This is lovely.