Thursday, November 13, 2014

Album-Style Journal

Here's the latest book ~ an album-style journal (horizontal orientation) measuring 5-1/4 x 8-1/4 inches.  The boards are from a regular book (vertical format) with nondescript covers, that I recovered with hand dyed cotton sateen.  The tapes are doubled pieces of the same fabric, fused together with WonderUnder to give the tapes more body.

There are six signatures of four folios each, or 96 pages.  Included are 17 pockets and 13 foldouts.  Additionally, many pages have extensions sewn on.  That's one of the things I like about horizontal journals ~ you have to add extensions on many of the pages to build out the width.

Pages include collages, cardstock, printed transparencies, and illustrations from a Dover book of William Morris patterns.

The first books I made with Sewn On Tapes, which I learned originally in an online class, had the signatures glued together.  The instructor said that was necessary to get the book to hold together.  But gluing the signatures is completely unnecessary.  I only wish I'd followed my inclination not to do that on those earlier books, because each of those has very heavy glued-together pages that detract, in my opinion anyway, from the book's beauty.  Another lesson in: there are no absolutes in bookbinding and no set ways of doing anything.






I'm really happy with those book.  It fulfills all my personal requirements for an excellent, beautiful hand bound book.

16 comments:

Trece said...

What a joy this album will be to work in!! I am particularly enamored of the tapes; they seem to shimmer!!

Jacki Long said...

What a treasure, Connie!
Lucky person that gets this! ;o)

Alice said...

Agree, this one is a winner. Especially like the way the tapes blend into the cover.

Sweetpea said...

I've been very bad about commenting of late but I definitely wanted to tell you that I think all these books you're making now are absolutely FAB !

Leslie said...

That's a great looking book. Love all the various things inside, would make for really fun journaling. Pretty cover fabric too.
Tape bindings can definitely be floppy but the coptic stitch down each end firms them right up. I've never glued the signatures together, only now and then glued the end papers to the inside covers.
You're on quite the book binding binge. Wish we lived closer, I'd be right there stitching away with you.

Jan said...

Eye candy...this looks like a delightful book with lots of treasures to find.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

It is a treasure, lovely work. xox

PamelaArtsinSF said...

Absolutely stunning!

Anna H said...

It's beautiful, Connie, what a great job, and such creativity!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Looks like it belongs in the gallery section of any of the bookbinding books I've Benn poring over. Truly beautiful.

Peggy Lynn said...

So beautiful and unique!!

Maggi said...

Love it Connie. I agree that signatures don't need to be glued but your idea about reinforcing the tapes is an excellent one.

jenclair said...

Beautiful! I adore the cover and the tapes--so lovely.

Michele Unger said...

Glorious creation! Your hand dyed fabric is spectacular and makes a beautiful book cover. Good to know about the tapes being adequate alone for binding. I'd wondered about that myself.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Looks to me like a beautiful book, lovely cover, pages by a masterful book binder. Owning the level ... this is a stunning piece of work Congratulations.

Charlton Stitcher said...

And happy you should be, Connie. They look beautiful and so full of contrast and surprises.