Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Does She, or Doesn't She?

I decided late yesterday to shut down my sales blog effective this Saturday...even though I just listed a few journals there.

I've had so few sales via that blog over the years that it's not worth it to me to hang on to it.  There's also the bigger discussion, which I have with myself ongoingly, about whether or not to even try to sell my work any longer.  And after this last brief spell of making things with the intention of selling them, I've decided, finally, to ditch that whole operation.

This doesn't mean I won't sell any of my work, but it means I won't be making anything for the express purpose of selling it.  That whole thing really hasn't worked for me since my beaded jewelry days.  Other than supplies, which I've done fairly well with at Etsy on and off over the last seven years, my online sales of finished artwork have been abysmal.  And in order to actually sell anything, I've typically had to discount my work by as much as 75 percent to get people to buy it.  As poor as I am, I'm simply not willing to do that any longer.

So, that said, if you ever see anything posted here on this blog that you would be interested in purchasing, then email me for details.  I'll continue to process the occasional online sale through PayPal for anybody who wants to buy, but I'm not going to be marketing any of my work.  Local peeps, nothing changes.  I'll always have stuff you can buy for gifts.

And if I never sell anything again?  Well then, that's more work to donate to Miranda's Rescue and Sequoia Humane Society in support of animal welfare in Humboldt County.

11 comments:

Roberta said...

I hear you on this one. I had an Etsy shop for a while but I would say I sold about one item every other month or so. I think it is very hard to sell things!

Els said...

Connie and Roberta : ditto !
(don't even start an Etsy !)

Charlton Stitcher said...

Selling is so hard. No one wants to pay for the time it takes to make things unless those things are very commercial ... And commercial may not be what we want to make - so I too am with you. I sell from time to time but it's never at a worthwhile rate - just the pleasure that someone likes something I've made enough to pay for it.

Jacki Long said...

Your work is stunning Connie!
I was just looking at your paintings on Flicker and they are amazing! I have never used etsy, and had wondered about your blog sale page, but never got around to asking about the specifics.
My problem is I have so much stuff of my own that I would love to move and have space to bring in some new. I am still on my mission to do with less, it's going to take a while.
Wish I was closer.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

My on-line sales have been very slow too, especially this year. Only reason I keep my artfire shop is that it gives customers from my craft shows the opportunity to see my work between shows. That, and the fact that I have a very good monthly fee - grandfathered in from when I first signed up when they were new. If I had to sign up now, I probably would not.

Threadpainter said...

I am sorry that you have to opt out. Art sales are hard to come by at the best of times and small art groups, showing their work, are losing venues and clients.
Ive never gotten into the on-line selling biz ... it just seemed to be more than I was willing to deal with. Good for you to have stuck it out this long.

john said...

Grand texture! Grand openness as to what you are doing and thinking! :-) Sales are hard!

Unknown said...

Hi, I am so glad I do not have to make a living as an artist! I entered some pieces into a juried Small Expressions show. It cost $40 to enter the five pieces. One sold, for $50.00. It was a 4"x4" piece. Once I took into account the $40 entry fee just to have the pieces juried, the 40% that the gallery took, and the few dollars for my materials,I figured I was only out $17.00! But it WAS fun to know that someone liked the piece enough to want to take it home with them.
marilyn

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

I think using etsy and other ways of selling is quite difficult with so much out there. I still have my etsy and I might put things into it when I get making again, but selling off your regular blogs seems to work just find for alot of folks. Like the piece you are showing in this post. Great surface tension. xox

Rayna said...

Smart move, Connie. Feed your soul and the rest will follow. I have never made anything with the goal of selling it -- it just doesn't work for me. If somebody buys a piece I have already made for myself, it's a bonus. Take care of you, nurture your creativity in your own way, and most of all -- have fun doing it!
love,
Rayna

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Selling is really, really hard work. The only ones who make money that way put at least as much time and effort into marketing as they do in making the work--sometimes even more. It's no half-hearted or part-time thing. It's as much a job as anything, if you actually plan to have sales. And who needs it if you don't have to? I used to sell cards and prints of my work online directly through my website, but I finally stopped. I had sales, sporadically, but mostly I just couldn't stand dealing with it anymore for the small return.