Friday, October 10, 2014

Blast from the Past


I'm showing off two pieces of early work today.  The first is a handwoven throw made entirely of hand dyed, hand spun merino/silk blend top.  I arranged the warp and weft threads so that one corner of the throw, which measures about 30 x 60 inches, is completely lavender, and the diagonal corner is completely pea green.  The parts between slowly gravitate toward one color or the other. 

I love this piece...and if I weren't sharing my home with BeeGee or some other feline, it would be thrown over the back of my pea green couch.

This piece is a scarf knitted from mohair and silk, two singles plied together.  The basket weave pattern, which is really just enormous 10x10 seed stitch (ten stitches, ten rows), gave this scarf a summery feel.  I only wore it a couple times, though, because it itches.  I can't wear wool or any other animal fiber any longer, and haven't been able to for maybe 10 years.  Unfortunately, I still do have a few hand spun, hand knit sweaters that I rarely, if ever, wear now.  I can't bear to part with them; they're the last and best hand knit pieces I have.

It's been a busy week for me with more to do today.  Looking forward to a relaxing weekend.

I saw a new chiropractor yesterday, another of the few in Fortuna.  The other practice here, the one that I went back to as a Medicare patient after seeing my old practitioner in Eureka, suddenly decided that effective November 1 they would no longer be billing Medicare.  I would have to pay for service upfront, and then get my own reimbursement from Medicare.  What kind of patient care is that? 

So I switched, and I love my new guy.  He's the best chiropractor I've had in at least 20 years.  Way better than the practice I just left.  Glad I got on board before his practice gets inundated with other seniors who don't want to pay out-of-pocket upfront for chiropractic when Medicare reimburses chiropractors 80 percent of the cost.

I've been pondering a post about my 40-year journey through New Age Spirituality and why I eventually became a Buddhist.  Next week for that.

Have a good weekend.  xo 

9 comments:

ileneharris said...

Connie,

These are exquisite pieces. Really and truly. I am so happy to hear that you have found a new doctor that you feel will take care of you. So important...

Love,
Ilene

john said...

Your woven cloth is pretty amazing. Also how your photographed the pieces works so well. The lighting on the cloth is pretty spectacular.

Jacki Long said...

The colors are wonderful and
we can almost feel the gorgeous textures.
Bravo & be well.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Beautiful, exquisite, gorgeous ... just lovely and I can understand not wanting to part with them! Thanks for sharing these beauties.

Leslie said...

Love the throw. You should use it, cat hair be damned! I gave up saving the good stuff cause I might break it or get it dirty. I have no one to leave any of it to, and I don't want it to all end up in a thrift store.
The scarf is pretty. That stitch gives a good texture. So interesting to see this other side of you since I know you only as a paper artist.

MegWeaves said...

I'm all smiles. But you knew that. I still often think of that bar/rail you had in front of your desk where you hung "finished" pieces for you to view and consider if they were indeed finished.

Charlton Stitcher said...

How beautiful these are - especially the pea green to lavender throw - gorgeously subtle.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Beautiful woven work, It looks so soft jist laying there. I could have used it this past week fending off my cold. xox

Vanessa Adams said...

Awww! I'm sorry to hear about the inconveniences you find yourself facing with that shift of terms in health care. However, it's a nice consolation that you've gotten yourself a reliable chiropractor all the same. It's good to know that we'll never run out of chiropractors that can provide us the service that we need. Take care!

Vanessa Adams @ Oshawa Chiropractic Wellness and Rehabilitation