Monday, October 27, 2014

Back At It

New journal made with old book covers.

I went to the Eureka Library book sale on Friday morning, and although I did get a few old books, there wasn't much to write home about.  Not really what I'd hoped to find, anyway.

Which is probably a good thing in the end.  I'm planning a batch of journals to sell utilizing my own handmade papers and fabrics on the covers, instead of continuing to hope I can find old books with really great covers...in this place where good old stuff is very hard to come by and/or way too expensive.

I just finished a book I liked a lot, Accelerated by Bronwen Hruska.  Now reading Tana French's The Likeness, the second in her Cassie Maddox series ~ the first is In The Woods, which I read about a year ago.  French might be my latest favorite mystery suspense author.  Also recently read Swimming Across the Hudson by Joshua Henkin, and enjoyed it.  And my next read in the Inspector Lynley series will be For The Sake of Elena.

We've had rain in far-northern California, and we're expecting more.  Bring it on.  Although I do have to laugh every time it rains hard.  My storage shed leaks, although not as you would imagine.  Water comes up from the bottom of the thing, even though it's raised up off the ground.  I've sealed or caulked every imaginable spot where rain could get in from the top, or by wicking up the sides at the bottom.  The water does not run down the walls inside, nor does the pond that forms -- two, actually -- reach to the edges of the floor.  I've been trying to figure this out for four years, it's simply mind-boggling.  My very own Mystery Spot.

Anyway, I keep plastic things stored on the floor of the shed where the water pools, and use a turkey baster to suck up the water after the rain stops.  I don't have power outside or else I'd use a pump of some sort.   It's a primitive system but it works.  And it keeps me from taking life too seriously.

5 comments:

Jan said...

That is a great cover!

I like that you have your own mystery spot--must keep you from missing an important part of Santa Cruz. Maybe you could charge admission. :-)

Charlton Stitcher said...

The 'Reading with Phonics' book cover brings back so many teaching memories for me ... hours and hours spent making daft noises as the children built the words ...

Jacki Long said...

Really cool journal Connie, love it! ;o)

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Mystery spot, indeed! We have one in the doorway between the main part of the house and a covered patio we had enclosed several years ago... only drips on occasion, usually at the beginning of monsoon season. Out come the buckets and bins for a day or so, then back to normal, even with continued rain storms! The turkey baster image got a chuckle out of me... always the innovator!

PamelaArtsinSF said...

Very nice cover and artist book!