I took a fabulous book binding workshop on Saturday, sponsored by NorBAG in Eureka. Each person in the class got to select which old book they wanted to use well beforehand, so the signatures had been cut to spec for each of us prior to the class. This is the book I'd selected.
Everybody got the book block from their books to take home and use later, either in the journals we made or in something else. I had no idea A Hermit's Wild Friends was going to be a natural history tome, complete with tons of drawings and plates. So in addition to making this great journal, I've got the innards to do other stuff with later.
We used sewing frames to make these books with sewn-on tapes. I love this construction but I'd never used a sewing frame before. The frame definitely made construction a lot easier (and might actually foil BeeGee, who drives me nuts going for the thread whenever I'm trying to bind books).
Later Saturday evening I decided I needed to have a sewing frame. But even the least expensive is too dear for me. Saturday night as I lay in bed I figured out how to make my own. And that's exactly what I did yesterday.
The three short pieces of 1x1 on the bottom were cut from one side of a silk-painting frame I've had since 1992. The other parts of the frame are under one of my studio tables, increasing the height of the table top (among other things I've got under there for the same purpose). I scavanged the crossbar wood yesterday from a neighbor's shed. I already had the wing nuts.
Total outlay yesterday: $2.50 for the long bolts. Pride in having built this beautiful sewing frame myself: priceless.