Wednesday, September 17, 2014

From the Archives

Here are a couple of lace shawls I knit back in the day, from yarns that I spun.  This first one was a natural colored Romney fleece, the first fleece (hogget) from this particular sheep.  First fleeces from gray sheep are often tan or brown in color.  This was the first full fleece I spun and I did a lot of wonderful things with the yarn.

For this shawl and the one below, I added glass beads to the knit edges instead of fringe. 

This shawl was knit with hand dyed, hand spun silk.  I used my favorite lace "leaves" pattern.  This shawl is quite large and has lovely drape.  It's 18 x 72 inches.  What you see is actually the second time I knit this shawl ~ the first time it was way too narrow and way too long.  I don't know what I was thinking, maybe that I would wrap it around my neck again and again and again...but silk is so warm that I couldn't stand it!  I dutifully ripped out the entire thing and started over again.  Not the only time I've done that, by the way.
Recently I read Herman Koch's Summer House With Swimming Pool and enjoyed it.  Have to admit it was kind of strange, but I like Koch's writing, his incisive take on life.

I also recently read for the first time Nick Bantock's Griffin & Sabine and Morningstar trilogies.  Both quick reads, great fun, with wonderful mail art to boot.

Currently I'm reading Night Film by Marisha Pessl, an intriguing mystery.

I'm also reading two non-fiction Buddhist books ~ Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change by Pema Chodron, and The Authentic Life by Ezra Bayda.

I'm liking Pema's book better than anything else I've read from her since When Things Fall Apart (Heart Advice for Difficult Times), which is a terrific book.  I've read most of Ezra's books as well.  Pema Chodron is a Tibetan Buddhist; Ezra Bayda is a Zen Buddhist.

We're actually supposed to get some rain today and tomorrow, 40 to 50 percent chance.  I'll believe it when I see it.  But god knows we need rain in California ~ virtually the entire state is a tinderbox right now.  Really scary stuff.

7 comments:

Jan said...

Beautiful writing in Night Film...strange and intriguing book.

These shawls look like museum pieces to me. Your body of work is simply stunning, GF.

Crossing my fingers for rain.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Beautiful, beautiful color, beautiful patterns, beautiful bead trim...just beautiful!

ileneharris said...

The shawls are lovely. I have never seen you wear either one, though. Maybe with jeans. I cannot imagine taking out the stitches for the entire piece after it is completed. With such fine yarn. Yikes!

Let me know if you are free for a vist. With pie even...

jenclair said...

Oh, the yarns and shawls are so beautiful! Love the Griffin & Sabine books, such gorgeous illustrations. Have not read Morningstar, but will check it out. The Griffin & Sabine books are part of the reason I became interested in mail art--years ago.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

I like listening to Pema on tape, rather than reading her. I am not familiar with the other author, but I will have to check it out. Shawls are beautiful. I am NOT a knitter, never will be but I always admire those who do. xox

Maggi said...

The shawls are beautiful Connie and I like the idea of using beads, gives it a nice weight. Hope you get the rain you need. We haven't got any over here either but we tend not to get fires when everything is dry. Scary for you over there.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Beautiful.