Monday, September 29, 2014

Coming Home

I began meditating not long ago...meditating as in establishing a daily practice that I am committed to.  Practice as in carrying out or performing a particular activity, method, or custom habitually or regularly, not as in practice makes perfect.  There's no perfection in meditation; there's only the practice of meditating.

I'd tried meditating many, many times previously.  But always, I thought there was somewhere I was supposed to get to...like a rock solid inner quietness where my mind would never wander.  But I could never get there.  So I'd stop meditating.

Or I would meditate on certain thoughts, particular thoughts that I imagined would change things in my outer world...things like, money would flow easily to me if I just thought it into being, or could truly let go of thoughts of lack or need.

I'm older and wiser now.  I know the mind does its own thing largely, and that this is the human condition.  I know that even people who've meditated for years still struggle with quieting their minds.  I know that we each have our own path in life and that the key to happiness is learning to simply be with what is, not in trying to will things to be different than they are.

I used to approach meditation like I approached working out...something I had to do, something I forced upon myself, something I felt guilty about if I didn't do, or didn't do often enough.  And when I had less apparent time to do it, it was easy to find reasons not to meditate.

I have the time now.  In fact, all I have now is time to meditate ~ whether that's actually sitting in meditation, or practicing mindfulness as well as I can in the rest of my everyday life.

I like meditating...but it's really not about whether I like it or not.  It's about having a time (thrice daily) and place where I can come home to myself, where I can touch in with my body, with whatever aches and pains are present, with my breathing, with my aliveness.  A time and place where I can viscerally grasp that I am a spiritual being in a human body...that I am on the right path, and that there is no wrong path.

7 comments:

Jan said...

Beautifully said. The wisdom of aging...isn't it great? Gotta have some benefits to balance the "challenges".

ileneharris said...

I daily find myself in spaces and places where the practice of mindfulness helps me center.

jenclair said...

I go through periods of meditating. I always spend a few minutes after yoga and pranayama, but the longer periods of meditation have been hit or miss for a long while now. My goal is to meditate daily (in a session apart from yoga), but I find myself saying "later" --meaning "not today." Your post may provide me with the inspiration to become more serious.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

well said. You have a way with words Connie. Food for thought. Thanks.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

I always found it difficult to still the monkey mind, but I never have that problem while making art, or walking in the garden, for me those are a meditation. xox

Maggi said...

Definitely one to think about.

Charlton Stitcher said...

You're ability 'to be with what is' .. contentedly .. is inspiring. For me too like Corrine above, my art is a meditation. It stills my mind and when I'm working, I think of nothing else. A gift of peace I'm always thankful for.