Saturday, August 9, 2014

Historical Review

I thought it would be interesting to see all my completed art journals together at one time.  And here they are, all 15 of them.  In these two images are art journals, a travel journal, and four shabby daybook journals.  Not bad for two years' work.

The pile below shows artist books I've done in that time.  Artist books are books in which the book itself is the content, i.e. not meant to be written in as a journal, once the book is complete.  There are 25 here, including the twelve Valentine minibooks I made in 2013, and six fabric books.

Plus, I have at least a dozen hand bound hardcover journals I haven't used yet.  I like to take a big-picture view of things occasionally, especially when I'm feeling as though I don't produce enough stuff.

I've actually begun work on my memoirs.  It's going to take a while but at least I've begun.  I notice that I keep wanting to edit out some of the most difficult parts, in my mind.  But I keep reminding myself that I am, essentially and most importantly, writing this for myself.  I already spent so much of my life varnishing over the truth...I can't, I won't do that anymore.  Even if I'm the only person who subsequently reads this, I suspect writing it might be the vehicle that enables me to finally let it go.  Lord knows I've been carrying this stuff around in my head and heart for a lifetime.

Have a great weekend.  xo

13 comments:

ileneharris said...

You can't ever erase the past, but only control how you let it affect your present life. By writing about it and getting things out honestly, I believe that the pain and heartache will ease.

Love you...

jenclair said...

Just look at all that beautiful work! Writing your memoirs seems a good way to evaluate events with the benefit of distance, Connie. Deciding what to keep and what to let go...

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

What a pile of gorgeous goodness that is. xox

Jacki Long said...

Me thinks your gorgeous stack of beautiful journals are how I picture the inside of that clever mind of yours. I think when you let those thoughts spill out, with you eloquent writing skill, it will be a treat for you and whoever is lucky enough to share the experience. Just sayin'

Els said...

Love the sight of all these books Connie

Bonnie said...

It made me laugh to think that you think you don't produce enough stuff. You are quite an achiever! And hats off to you for writing down your life. Folks keep telling me I should do that, but I am still in resistance. You are most inspiring! One of these days I will figure out how to make it by to say hello in person.

apaperbear said...

I want to sit and go through each and every journal!!!! Fantastic works!!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

From my experience, writing the unvarnished truth about my life was an incredible relief, and helped me to accept and go on. Best wishes on this leg of your journey!

Jan said...

So glad you're writing. Brava.

You didn't mention that you've made at least 2 more journals--one for me and one for Susan.

Your output is nothing short of amazing!! I'm glad you have a way to "get" it yourself--we've all known it for years!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Great that you have already started on this memoir journey of yours ... I wish you well. Holding yourself to the fire on writing it true is a courageous act and like you said it might just be for your eyes only.
I agree your output in creating these art journals is amazing and they are beautiful too!

Maggi said...

Lovely to see all these together. Good for you with the memoirs

FarStarr said...

Gorgeous pile of inspiration!

Michelle Reuss-Remy said...

I adore photos of handmade (and completed) journal & book stacks! Pushes me to finish all my unfinished works...and boy! I have a lot of those!