Friday, July 18, 2014

Varieties of White

Journal Collage, July 2014
I bought a few pounds of white nectarines yesterday at a seasonal fruit stand in Fernbridge.  Fernbridge isn't a town in its own right, more of a crossroads between Fortuna, Loleta and Ferndale.  Also the home of Humboldt Creamery.  Nearly all of the agricultural land in the Eel River Valley is comprised of dairy farms.  But I digress...

I'll be making a small batch of white nectarine jam this weekend.  White nectarines are my favorite summer fruit, and the ones I got yesterday are the best I've ever tasted.  As I mentioned in my last post about jam, it isn't necessary to add pectin to stone-fruit jams.  Yesterday I learned that the pectin is in the peel.  So not having to peel the fruit makes the process that much simpler.

Have a good weekend.  It's Rodeo weekend in Fortuna, which doesn't mean anything to me although it might to you cowboys and cowgirls.  Yeehaw!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Another neat mono collage. I like the scribbly circles. Nectarines are my fave fruit also, altho I like the yellow ones best. We're getting 3 or 4 a day from our small tree and really enjoying them. Good luck with the jam!

Charlton Stitcher said...

Hoping to catch a rodeo or two when we're out west in September ... Love the white (and black)and I love nectarines too. I've never made nectarine jam - perhaps I should give it a try. How wonderful to have them in the garden like Leslie. UK winters are too unreliable and probably the summers too.