Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Postcards from the Edge

Here it is, Postcards from the Edge, my nature journal artist book featuring photos of sunsets taken from the bluff overlooking Eel River Valley, just a few steps from Rose Cottage.

Before printing the images on good matte photo paper, I tried printing one on fabric, also tried printing an image reversed on a transparency and transferring that to fabric or paper.  Neither of those options showed off the magnificence of the actual colors of the sunsets.  So it was back to photo paper.

I painted backgrounds on both sides of ten 4-3/4 x 6-1/2 inch pieces of 140# watercolor paper.  Then stitched the images on with a wonky zigzag stitch.  To get that wonkiness, I used an embroidery foot with the machine set to zigzag, then manually moved the paper back and forth so the stitches would be uneven.

The hinges are stitched on strips of batik fabric.




The title and colophon panels were edge stitched before I glued on the letters and words.  Then I mounted them on the reverse sides of the first and last photo, with PVA, to cover the stitching underneath.


In other news, Diane Franklin, awesome shibori dyer and reader of my blog, has produced a wonderful new book called Dyeing Alchemy.  Some of my dyed fabric and shibori quilts are featured in the book.  But mostly the book displays Diane's magnificent shibori quilts in this great dyeing primer and workbook.  Check it out!

19 comments:

Charlton Stitcher said...

I love the colours - so rich - and it was fascinating to see your process and your use of stitch on paper. Like the wonky zig-zag especially - it's always fun to do and works especially well here.
I will also search out the book to see more of your work.

jenclair said...

What a beautiful book, Connie! And how nice to be featured in Diane's book!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Beautiful photos and remarkable that you step out your door and view these views! I especially like the piece of fabric between photos and the wonky zig-zag too!

Jacki Long said...

Wonderful Connie!
Stunning work and,
I especially love the stitching ...
just perfect!

MegWeaves said...

I'm fascinated that your guy is so fascinated by sunset photos.

Meg Fowler said...

Awesome, awesome skies! You are blessed to be able to walk out your door into such beauty. Colors like these happen so rarely here in the Blue Ridge Mts. Too much haze. Gorgeous book!

Leslie said...

Great little book. Some of those sunsets are spectacular and the batik fabric fits in well with the sunset colors. Who's the cat? You can't show us a cat and not tell us who he is! Or maybe everyone knows but me...

Jan said...

This is such a gorgeous book. Amazing skies! I gather you won't be writing in it?

Congrats on being in print again--I'll look for that book.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I really like this method of showing off your sunset photos - one of the better uses for an accordion fold book (I think that's what it it's called.) I really like the way you can stretch it out to see multiple views. The uneven zigzag is a nice way to mount the photos.

ileneharris said...

Splendiferous. Love sunsets, too. Wherever I happen to be they seem magical.

Good for you for doing this book. I think the muse has re entered the building...

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

fantastic piece Connie, those photos are spectacular. xox

Michele Unger said...

Those spectacular sunset photos are so beautifully complimented by the book in which you feature them! I love it! Makes me want to plunk down in a lawn chair, sip an iced tea and watch a sunset (or two) with you.

Maggi said...

Beautiful Connie. I can see why you would want to preserve those colours. I like the way that you've put the book together. Looks like Bee Gee approves too.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

This really is gorgeous. I love the mix of stitching with the rich colors, and the fabric hinges that complement the rest of it so well. What a beautiful book!

I see that BeeGee seems to agree. And, of course, he is the most discerning of critics.

Peggy Lynn said...

Just stunning, Connie!

Karen Isaacson said...

what a gorgeous book. It's wonderful to bring so many different elements of your art into one project.

john said...

Terrific that you have several pieces in your friend's book. I love the sunset pieces. Love the cat and art piece. Sorry I have been so absent from commenting. You know why. Hugs! :-)

Jeannie said...

I love the sunset book, but I love the photos of Bee Gee inspecting the photos the best. He is my kind of cat. Thanks for the heads up about the book. I am in "treat mode" and that looks like a perfect treat!

Michelle Reuss-Remy said...

Hi Connie!

I receive your blog posts via email and admittedly I think to comment & then forget to visit your blog to do it so while I have a few spare moments this morning, I am popping into a couple of your posts that have inspired me...like this one! I also take a lot of sky pictures. This is a brilliant piece of book art and a fabulous way to house & highlight those pictures. This really makes me consider getting back into making artist's books! Brava!