Friday, July 11, 2014

Poppies Poppin'

What began last year as two vegetable beds slowly morphed into flower beds in front of Rose Cottage.  I put these poppies in last, a couple months ago, and wasn't even sure they'd bloom this year.  Although I do love those huge, complex flowers, I was hoping for more like the single flower varieties.  But like most everything else one looks for in Humboldt County, I couldn't find any.  Interestingly, the second flower that bloomed from that light lilac plant turned out to be quite frilly, although the same color.  I'm thinking maybe seeds from different varieties, but the same color, got mixed together to become the 4-inch plant I bought.

I did plant a bunch of poppy seeds early in the year that I got from a neighbor late last summer.  Most of those didn't come up or were disturbed when I put in other plants.  But five or six small plants did make it, and I'm hoping for blooms on those next year.  This year they're just getting their plant thing on.

Below is my succulent area, a nook between my Rubbermaid shed on the right and the brick wall.  Over the years I've covered the area with shade cloth and clear plastic.  Several of the plants here used to be in the house but they got too big.  They're doing just fine outside.  The ferns are volunteers that came up just this year.

I still have a huge pile of rusted stuff from my rusting and ecodyeing days.  Originally I thought I'd take the big stuff back to the salvage yard from whence it came...but that place went out of business not long ago.  Meanwhile, the big stuff makes nice garden art.


10 comments:

jenclair said...

Wow! Those poppies are gorgeous!

ileneharris said...

I love those poppies, too. Chuck has beautiful ones in his garden...

Roberta said...

Drooling over those poppies!

Jeannie said...

I am so envious of your poppies!!! I love that deep dark color and purple, no less! Do you know the variety? Your salvaged pieces add nice texture to your plant area, which looks so inviting. I love to look at old iron work and marvel at how they were made. Have a happy!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Did I know poppies come in colors other than orange? I don't think so. This is a beautiful color.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I don't think I've ever seen poppies in that color before... I love poppies, but don't know when to plant them up here. Nice place you have set up for your succulents!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Poppies are stunning. Can't wait to grow a big garden next year. This year I did not even plant a single flower, although the jungle out here is going along nicely, just green and more green. xox

Leslie said...

You've posted pics of your house but this is the first I've seen anything of your yard. Love the poppies, altho I'm a fan of the flaming orange one and the pale blue. And a great semi-green house you've made. Perfect for those plants. Show us more!

Valerie Kamikubo said...

Beautiful!

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

"But like most everything else one looks for in Humboldt County, I couldn't find any." I'm still laughing! Oh…so true.

I so freaking love poppies! These are gorgeous! Love them! Great color, too.

The abundance of volunteer ferns around here… It still amuses me that I used to actually buy ferns as houseplants when I lived in LA. Here, they are weeds. I have to actually keep pulling them out of my carnivorous plants' pots, or they'd completely take over. And there are these wildflowers that keep popping up from the cracks in the driveway in front of the studio (which, like your ferns, I leave in place). Humboldt County… you'll never find what you're looking for, but you'll have all the ferns you could ever want (or maybe not want).