Friday, July 25, 2014

Look

Sketchbook Collage, July 2014
I picked blackberries with a girlfriend on Wednesday.  That afternoon I put up two quarts of blackberry cordial and made about a quart of blackberry syrup.  Had some syrup on vanilla ice cream last night -- Yum!

I also got a new appreciation for the little city of Rio Dell, where my pal and I picked berries.  A lot of Humboldt locals, including myself quite often, call the place "Real Dull."  But seeing parts of town that I'd never been in before made me change my mind about it.  There are beautiful rural neighborhoods and the price of real estate is really low ~ not that I plan to buy anything.  I'm jus' sayin'.

This week I read Ruth Ozeki's A Tale For the Time Being, and liked it a lot.  Recently I read Joyce Maynard's Labor Day, and then I saw the 2013 movie.  Currently I'm reading J.G. Ballard's Kingdom Come, enjoying this prophetic writer's view of 21st century living.

This weekend is Fortuna's annual AutoExpo, a BIG deal for old car lovers from all over northern California and Oregon.  Generally I stay away from these things, although I admit the cars are gorgeous.  The Fortuna Library also has its second book sale of the year tomorrow and there's a small antique fair at the Vet's Hall, so I'll be joining the throngs of people for part of the day. 

Have a great weekend!  xo

8 comments:

Jan said...

You are setting by quite wonderful jams et all. Blackberry cordial and syrup!
Would love to go to your book fair and antique fair.

Karen Isaacson said...

the Ruth Ozeki book is on my list. I was hoping to take it on vacation but there's a wait list at my library. I remember really liking her book "my year of meats"

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Great page, I laughed at sell the kids....sometimes we did want to, LOL. Enjoy the book sale. xox

PamelaArtsinSF said...

Blackberries and a library book sale??? OooOOoo summertime....88 in SF today -- crazy!

Maggi said...

Blackberry syrup with ice cream - sounds delicious. How uplifting to discover beauty in areas where you might have missed it before. Thanks for the link to Ruth Ozeki.

jenclair said...

Never thought of selling the kids, but my husband and I always said that if divorce ever happened there would be a fierce custody battle. We would each insist the other take them!

Blackberries, regardless of when or where I see them, always send me back to childhood.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Such a great few days ... good reads, great blackberry picking and wow to today at the library picking up some great finds. Life is good!

Bridgette Mills said...

Sketchbook collage- love that idea. Hmmm, may have to take that up. Ruth Ozeki is one of my favorite authors- just finished that book and enjoyed it too. I always learn so much from her books