Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Little Sunny Stories

This is my new hybrid journal, which I'm calling Little Sunny Stories.  I designed it to be used as a regular writing journal as well as a shabby style journal I can write smaller entries in as I have in four journals now, since taking Mary Ann Moss's Remains of the Day.  For regular writing I've been using Cachet's 7x10 inch wirebound journals with 1/4-inch quadrille paper.  This has been my writing journal of choice for years.  The paper is heavy enough to carry fountain pen ink on both sides without bleeding.

Inside front cover and first page
The pages alternate between blank pages (plain graph paper) and pages that have been embellished with stitched-on stuff, pockets, etc.  And of course I can add more stuff along the way with dry adhesive.  The outside covers have images from Burpee's 1997 seed catalog done in vintage style and pages from Johnny Gruelle's Little Sunny Stories kids' book from 1940.  The inside front cover and many of the embellished pages have snippets from Burpee's reproduction 1888 seed catalog.

I didn't start using that repro 1888 seed catalog until I got into mixed media, although I've had it since the late 1990s.  Went online yesterday to see if I could get another copy since I've just about used up the one I have, and found this great site ~ Vintage Literature ~ that has a ton of cool vintage stuff on CD.  I ordered a CD of Burpee's seed catalogs from 1888 through 1927.
 
These Cachet sketchbooks have a removable wire binding.  I simply removed the wire, took out maybe half of the original 80 pages, embellished half of the remaining pages, alternated stitched and plain pages, added images to the covers, then put the wire binding back in.  As usual, I embellished way more pages than would fit in one journal, so I can do this same thing again in future if I want to.  And I have those removed plain pages as well.  The journal would have been way too thick with all the pages in, because of the space taken up with embellishments. 


9 comments:

Els said...

Hi Connie, these are funny ! Love to see with what different pages you come up with ;-)
But are you really stitching through the paper ??? normal writing journal paper ??? that's okay ?

jenclair said...

Cool pages, Connie!

Valerie Kamikubo said...

This is really nice, Connie. I particularly like the map and envelope page.

Leslie said...

What a fun journal. Love the ABCs page, but all of them are cool. Your collage style always appeals to me. And stitching adds a neat looks. Very inspiring, altho I do not need one more started project LOL.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Great pages. Wonderful seed catalog images and simple collage set ups. Enjoy this one. Great title Little Sunny Stories. Sounds quite old fashioned to me like a young child's reader. xox

Charlton Stitcher said...

More fun postings, Connie. I feel very out of the loop blogwise just now - too much going on and it won't get much better till the middle of September. Still, I'm not complaining. It's all family and pleasures and holidays and then visiting old friends over your side of the Atlantic. I will try to sneak in occasionally.

Jan said...

Thanks for these and for explaining how you do the stitching--could not imagine it. I never knew that the spiral binding is removable--remarkable!

You know I love this vintage mode. Wonderful and fun.

xo

MegWeaves said...

Ah, I caught up with your blog posts. Feels like I'm back in the land of the living. Lovely notebook! Love it.

Maggi said...

Great pages