Monday, July 21, 2014
The process was so simple this time, after working out all the bugs in my procedure with the plum jam I made the weekend before. The cut-up nectarines gave me 11 cups, I added 2 cups sugar and stirred it all together, then let it sit in my pot for an hour before the first boil. I brought it to a boil for 10 minutes and cooled it three times (twice late Friday, once Saturday morning), then canned up the jam from the fourth boil. I don't even use a canner...I just put the filled jars in an enamel pot with boiling water, then do a 12 minute boiling water bath. Easy peasy. I did the last two boils plus the hot water bath in the morning on Saturday. I was finished before noon. And oddly, no hard-water spots on the jars this time despite same water and same pot. Go figure.
I've also been jamming on a nature journal artist book that I'll finish in the next day or two. An old idea that I'm finally bringing to fruition.
Have a sweet week. xo