Monday, July 21, 2014

Jammin'

This is jam to write home about ~ White Nectarine Jam.  Yum!  I got 7-1/2 half pints from 6 pounds of very tasty fruit.

The process was so simple this time, after working out all the bugs in my procedure with the plum jam I made the weekend before.  The cut-up nectarines gave me 11 cups, I added 2 cups sugar and stirred it all together, then let it sit in my pot for an hour before the first boil.  I brought it to a boil for 10 minutes and cooled it three times (twice late Friday, once Saturday morning), then canned up the jam from the fourth boil.  I don't even use a canner...I just put the filled jars in an enamel pot with boiling water, then do a 12 minute boiling water bath.  Easy peasy.  I did the last two boils plus the hot water bath in the morning on Saturday.  I was finished before noon.  And oddly, no hard-water spots on the jars this time despite same water and same pot.  Go figure.

I've also been jamming on a nature journal artist book that I'll finish in the next day or two.  An old idea that I'm finally bringing to fruition.

Have a sweet week.  xo

6 comments:

john said...

I love nectarines. In fact, I had some with blueberries on my oatmeal this morning. What a fun experience you related! :-)

Bonnie said...

Fruition! ha ha ha

Jeanne said...

years ago (in my large scale canning days) i canned some nectarine and blueberry jam.... i may have to make a small batch of freezer jam this year... nectarines and peaches are my favorite! good job

Sandra Rude said...

Looks delicious!

Jeanne Aird said...

You're making me want to try this. It looks so yummy. I don't have any equipment, but it sound like you don't need all of that stuff. We're growing a lot of tomatoes and my mom used to make a tomato jelly that was awesome. Sounds weird, but it was great!

Jacki Long said...

Yum-oh!!!
PhoI'm envious!